Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jung and Easily Freudened


Specimen 1

The patient didn’t know
he was the patient

the doctor didn’t know
he was the doctor

I didn’t know
either of them

so I turned away
from the mirror —

yes I said I turned away,
turned away from the mirror.


Specimen 2

Imagine an ordinary pincushion full of pins, and that this pincushion has been left undisturbed for quite some time, and that microscopic beings of great intelligence have built an advanced harmonious civilization among the pins, and that an old woman on her way through the room happens to notice the pincushion and decides for a vague sentimental reason that she needs a pin, and that with her thumb and index finger she destroys the civilization’s archives, killing the director and his leading scholars, and also topples several buildings, trapping thousands of microscopic beings in silent transparent elevators while ruining a major portion of their solar-powered transportation system, causing also a cataclysmic dust storm, and that one brave, intrepid member of this microscopic race manages to record the entire event though it brings about his own death, and that the few surviving beings flee to a wool cap hanging on a doorknob several light years from the pincushion. Then imagine hearing the woman say, “My goodness. What on earth did I come in here for?”

(first publication)

Note: The two “specimens” that comprise “Jung and Easily Freudened” were written simultaneously on the same word processor page — which is to say, I alternated between them, advancing and refining (defining? undermining?) each as I went along. Total play time: less than an hour, during which I also washed a few dishes.

Image: Jung and Easily Freudened (click to enlarge).


Updates:
“Jung and Easily Freudened” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

In the Forum: a defining moment deferred.

7 comments:

Joseph Hutchison said...

Cyber dishes or real ones?

Also, the word verification that came up to OK this post is, for the first time that I can remember, an actual word: "ounces".

I wonder what that means...

William Michaelian said...

I don’t know. Maybe Google is developing a special verification algorithm for poets.

The dishes, I think, were real. But in this condition, how can I be sure?

brian a j s said...

William, you need to entitle an entire book Imagine That.

As to word verification, I also have noticed these changes. Not sure what is going on, but a comment I left at Silliman's yesterday had chaoseve, and the one I left there this morning had ingend. There have been several such recently. Maybe Google's robots are learning English or some alien race is trying to tell us something.

William Michaelian said...

Both possibilities seem credible.

~im just only me~ said...

...enough monkeys at enough typewriters.... so they say...

William Michaelian said...

Yes, they’re sitting there drinking scotch, smoking cigars, and consulting wild dictionaries....

~im just only me~ said...

Sounds like Shakespeare to me!