Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Preliminary Sketch


A Preliminary Sketch
December 1, 2008


Note: Sometimes it helps to sketch out a poem in advance. When you find it staring back at you, it’s time for the writing to begin. There are cities like that, too, where the imagined streets and buildings are so familiar that it would be a shame not to go ahead and build them. And after you do, you meet some crazy, wonderful, amazing people there.

Recently linked:
Beginning with Djibril’s newly added profile image under “Followers,” a few clicks led me to the home page of The Future Fire, a publication of “Social, Political & Speculative Cyber-fiction” and its new companion review blog, The Future Fire Reviews. Thank you, Djibril.

Updates:
Changed outdated links to Heyday Books under “Artwork” at left, on the Main Page, and in News and Reviews.

In the Forum, Winston doles out the pills.

9 comments:

Joseph Hutchison said...

Your sketches make me want to grow a beard! Maybe I'll just let my next poem grow one....

William Michaelian said...

The scary poems are the ones that start out clean shaven and then grow beards later on.

I wonder if it’s possible to write with scissors. I think I might give that a try.

brian a s said...

Obviously, you can do cutups with scissors.

About the drawing and God and the dark background, two or three days ago I learned that scientists have now confirmed/ dark matter actually does have light in it. It is just in a range which is invisible to our eyes. So, God wouldn't be wondering what happened to all the light.

William Michaelian said...

In a poem I wrote a few years ago, I said Darkness wasn’t dark until light was born. It made sense at the time; maybe it still does; I’ll have to think about this — and about other unlikely writing tools.

S_Allen said...

I never thought to sketch out a poem in advance. I'm not much of an artist, but I will have to give that one a try sometime.

Thanks

William Michaelian said...

Scott, thank you. Judging by your new blog, I’d say that you’re more of an artist than you give yourself credit for. Keep at it....

~im just only me~ said...

...neither is William apparently :P ;)

William Michaelian said...

There you go again, overstating the obvious....

S_Allen said...

What kind words - thank you