Thursday, April 9, 2009

Book Exchange, Part 3


As I do so often when I read, I’ve been reading Brian Salchert’s chapbook, January 1976, aloud. All the better, I think, to hear the music in passages like these, from “January 20th” and “January 14th”:


      Scraping snow from my van’s windows, I found
      a “Hi!” in some, & softly chuckled. Still,
      I’d wanted to cruise Milwaukee the night
      before; but the drifting winds kept me bound,
      furious, and out of care, trying to fill
      a dead time—writing, reading, in a poor light.


      * * *

      Remember—remember only good times,
      exploring their crevices, their soft heights;
      and dream those dreams that make you smile inside
      as a poet does when he tees his rhymes
      to zero them for vicarious sights
      he rarely governs, hoping they abide.

Brian tells me that some of the poems in January 1976 have been revised, and that I can find the latest versions on his website. I have not yet read them, but owing to the strength of the originals, I am inclined to think of the revisions as different poems.

Book Exchange, Part 2
Book Exchange, Part 1



Recently Linked:
My thanks to Isabelle for linking to Recently Banned Literature and Poems, Slightly Used from the other folk page of her blog, Letters to Ed. It’s greatly appreciated. A link to her blog can also be found in the “Reading Room.”

Update:
In the Forum: a face to admire.

6 comments:

baj salchert said...

The "Hi!" was just what I needed. So, in spite of my negative mood, I had to make use of it.

William Michaelian said...

Quite often, I incorporate momentary happenings and overheard bits of conversation into stories and poems. Hidden little journal entries.

~im just only me~ said...

I always try to read poems aloud in my mind, whispering them if I can. There is something about the feel of the words in your mouth, and for once, words which seem more sincere coming from the lips. As if they were pure thoughts without the hindrance of words. I had this funny thought just now about reading poetry and being a ventriloquist...

William Michaelian said...

Someday I would like to give a poetry reading while holding a ventriloquist’s dummy. Or maybe have the roles reversed. Hmm. Reminds me of an episode of “The Twilight Zone.”

don't be emily said...

I think you would make a marvelous ventroliquist's dummy, william, fascinating one. Cass, on the other hand, we all know is a dummy already. :P

William Michaelian said...

Well, I’ll leave you two to battle out that one. Meanwhile, I truly appreciate the compliment. But now I wonder: when two ventriloquists’ dummies meet, what do they talk about?