Monday, August 24, 2009

Morning Has Broken


In the corner of a yard I didn’t recognize, my father was raking leaves by a wooden fence. The leaves were old and rotten and piled deep. There was a small tree trunk nearby that I thought should be removed. I told my son it would be easy to dig out. But when we walked around it, the other side was massive. I said, “What happened? This tree looks like it’s 300 years old.” Two words, then, died on my lips: “petrified” and “sycamore.” My father, meanwhile, had found another area under some bushes that needed raking. I could tell by his movements that he was angry about something. He quickly finished the area and went to the front yard. We followed him. The sun was up in the backyard, but in the front it was still mostly dark. My father disappeared behind some bushes near the foundation. Again, he started raking. A neat row of leaves appeared on the lawn. Then, silence. My father was gone.

Added yesterday to the Annandale Dream Gazette.


Recently Linked: My thanks to Anna Van Z for linking to and quoting from my review of Look Homeward, Angel, by Thomas Wolfe. Anna, who lists her occupation as “Human Monkey Wrench,” is author of the North Carolina-based blog, The Mills River Progressive.

Update:
In the Forum: all downhill from here.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

A wonderful, vivid language in an almost exciting small history...
and it raises questions: where the father was, that you could not see him?
Or he has hidden is because the children * los he * wanted to just the foliage rake the own idea entertain?

William, I read again happy it...

smiling, Rachel

William Michaelian said...

Rachel, thank you. You’re right — the dream does seem to ask more questions than it answers.

Chelsea Rebekah said...

I normally avoid commenting on blogs of people I do not personally know, but in this case I only have something positive to say (it cannot hurt, then?).

I actually follow your blog and in my feed a small excerpt of this appeared. In my opinion, if only three sentences intrigue me enough to click on a link and read the whole thing, it must be some fairly interesting writing.

Thank you for that.

William Michaelian said...

You’re very welcome. And thank you.

It takes time, but I’ve become acquainted with some wonderful, talented people via these little comment boxes. They’re scattered all over, and most of them I’ll probably never have the chance to meet. And yet my life is richer because of them. So keep commenting, and let people find you.

Thanks again....