Thursday, August 20, 2009

Parlor and Workspace, 1



Don’t let the clock fool you. It stopped running. The picture was taken about an hour later. That’s my eldest brother with the sunglasses, circa 1966. He seems prepared for the sunny day ahead, circa 2009.

This is one corner of my work area. I’m in another corner, a few feet to the right, sitting at my mother’s desk. Behind me is what I like to call the parlor, a picture of which I will share by and by — a picture of more pictures and books, and also some furniture, which includes my grandmother’s old White sewing machine.

The sunlight also begs a question: why am I drinking tea on a hot summer morning, with an afternoon high predicted of 103? Because I like the word chamomile? Yes. Partly.

[click to enlarge]


Recently Linked: My thanks to Joe Hutchison for linking to my interview in Cosmopsis Quarterly and to my main website. My thanks also to Dan Fiasco for signing on as a follower of Recently Banned Literature. You can visit Dan’s new absurdist group therapy blog, An Endless Fiasco, here.

Updates:
“Parlor and Workspace, 1” added to Penny Thoughts and Photographs.

In the Forum: the halcyon days of yore.

7 comments:

don't be emily said...

Are you always that neat and organized? or did you "redd up" for the picture?

RUDHI - BY CHANCE said...

Nice INTERIEUR!

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Rudhi — this is one little corner of my world....

And Katie, I haven’t moved a thing, and won’t for any of these photos. Generally speaking, I’m quite neat and organized. I’ve thought about this before, and I do find parallels in the way I write, and in the forms the writing takes. It seems I always leave a little breathing space around words and objects.

Keep in mind also that we just moved, and the house was full of furniture and all sorts of archival material when we arrived. Every inch of space around here is precious.

-K- said...

That's the reason I order "dopio can panna" from Strabucks. (As recently as 12 minutes ago.)

William Michaelian said...

Kevin, when you stop by, I can make us some coffee using the old pot in the immediate foreground. That’s the one my dad used when I was a kid.

RUDHI - Chance said...

It seems, times don't affect your life and things; timelessness? I think, E.Hopper would like to paint your sunlight-corner (too)...

William Michaelian said...

Rudhi, maybe you should paint it...