Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Penny Thoughts and Photographs



This is a detail from an untitled oil painting by a close friend of mine, Glen Ragsdale. It was done in 1973 when the artist was seventeen, about a year before he died of cancer. When he finished the painting, he framed it and sold it to my parents for forty dollars because he was short about that much money for his car insurance.

After he passed away, a showing of Glen’s work was organized and staged in the high school cafeteria. At the showing, there were dozens of paintings of all sizes — landscapes, portraits, still-lifes. Previously, Glen had sold many of them to people in town to help pay for his medical bills. A number of the later ones were painted on his side in bed, leaning on his elbow. I visited him every day, and watched them all come into being.

[click to enlarge]

Note: This is the first entry in a new section on my main website. I took the picture with my son’s three-year-old Sony Cybershot. I do not know what I’m doing.


Update:
In the Forum: broken glass and ripe tomatoes.

9 comments:

Nazia Mallick said...

Looking at this painting brought tears to my eyes...

And the artist...such deep reflections at seventeen!!

Kevin Atteridg said...

Such a marvelous painting. Thanks for sharing.

William Michaelian said...

Your welcome, Kevin. For me, this painting is a real treasure.

Nazia, I think he lived a lifetime, maybe even many, during that last year. I know I did.

Leks said...

Pure and beautiful,thank you for this.It is a treasure. :O)
Aleksandra

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Aleksandra, it’s always nice to hear from you.

And Kevin, here is the apostrophe and the e that should have been at the beginning of my response to you:

’ e

RUDHI - BY CHANCE said...

Very deep character-painting of high-age; must have been a deep adventure to be in touch with this real artist-soul!

William Michaelian said...

Yes, as it always is....

ambermaida said...

How did you know? This post brings me to tears, it makes me think of what i'm going through and to be thankful that I have all that i have... thanks you for reminding me of this, i am still here and each day is wonderful.

William Michaelian said...

Amber, thank you for reminding me.