Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Zuv’s Lincoln



This is a detail from a pencil drawing by my grandfather’s sister, Zvart. I know little about Zuv, as the family called her, and have no memory of seeing her. She left our hometown a year or so before I was born. After that she married, I believe, met with some difficulties, and fell out of touch. While I was growing up, the relatives spoke of her fondly and never failed to mention her artistic talent. Her portrait of Lincoln, which now hangs near the window in a spare bedroom down the hall, is the only work of hers we have. When I went in with my son’s camera, the president was gazing out the window. He heard me, sighed, and then slowly looked my way.

[click to enlarge]


Updates:
“Zuv’s Lincoln” added to Penny Thoughts and Photographs.

In the Forum: a poet’s keystroke on a timeless, default-formatted document.

No comments: