Monday, September 14, 2009

Destiny


After a long, tiring day, I spied a face in the bathroom wallpaper. It was near the shower, about a foot above the floor. Bushy eyebrows, arched, inquisitive; the blue-oily bead of an eye at least half insane, a mouth like an entrance to a cave. I had an idea: to take one square of toilet paper, press it to the wall, and trace the image. But the face didn’t show through. Very well. I returned with a piece of wax paper and a fine felt-tipped pen. To trace the image, I had to stretch out on the floor. I set to work. My hand was shaking ... the face refused to appear. I traced on. Clouds, perhaps? A doctor’s Rx? No, not even less. To salvage the image, I tried shading the brows. But black is not blue. I lifted the paper. The light fell through. I sat up, alone in the room.

(first publication)


Updates:
“Destiny” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

In the Forum: when it comes to poetry, leave it to the prose.

6 comments:

Leks said...

Oh,beauty, this sounds like my mornings,you make me smile again,wizard of words you,thank you.Hope that you will get to some pleasure and fine moment for your tiring day,leave the face to me,if you want? You want it blue?OK, :O)
Aleksandra

William Michaelian said...

Wonderful! All my life, I’ve been seeing faces in wallpaper and linoleum floors. Well, I suppose that’s not all that unusual, but this time, I felt like I was a repairman working in the Sistine Chapel....

Leks said...

How they say;-"the beauty is in a eye of the ..... "?
Is it getting any better? Is your hand doing what its supposed to do?
I mean,cause of the same talent the "doctors"are calling me crazy,telling I must not think magicaly!? :O?
Greetings.

William Michaelian said...

Jealous doctors!

...Gray... said...

a great poem, a great web site. I'm glad I came across it.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Gray, your comment is certainly appreciated. I look forward to reading your blog.