Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Get Well Card for Brian Salchert


Yesterday morning, I received a note from Brian Salchert’s sister, Jean. As readers of his blogs know, Brian has been grappling with a number of serious health concerns. As if that weren’t enough, on August 15 he fell and broke his hip. After a two-week period in the hospital, Brian is now recuperating in a care facility.

As I told Jean in my reply, there are quite a few of us in the poetry community who have been concerned by her brother’s silence. Brian’s hunger for knowledge and understanding is a journey that takes him far and wide on the Web. I value his insightful comments and posts, and am especially impressed by the respectful way he presents his thoughts and ideas. His conduct is a model of grace. I feel lucky to have made his acquaintance, and, although we have never met, I’m pleased to count him as a friend.

I know I’m not alone in wishing Brian a good recovery. His pain hurts us in ways he is far too modest to admit.


Recently Linked:
My thanks to Samantha Rose and Lirio for signing on as followers of Recently Banned Literature. And thanks also to Samantha Rose for linking here from her blog, thesaurus rex. A link to her blog can also be found in the “Reading Room.”

In the Forum: a nightmare without hyperlinks.

8 comments:

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

William:

If you get a chance, please convey my personal 'get well quick' wishes to Brian or his sister. I have missed his input around the po-blogosphere.

Gary

-K- said...

This is really one the best uses of the internet.

I'm sure Brian is being helped via these messages.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Gary. No need — you already have.

Thanks, Kevin.

Joseph Hutchison said...

I'm glad to know Brian's (relatively) all right. I emailed him a couple of weeks ago but left town for a week without hearing back. Funny, in a non-humorous way, how often he crossed my mind while I was gone. I like his wondering ways and hope he's wondering "aloud" among us again soon.

mark wallace said...

I'm sorry to hear about Brian's recent difficulties and I hope he's doing as well as possible under the circumstances. It has always been a pleasure to hear from him on my blog and many others.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Joe and Mark. I heard from Jean again today. She says Brian is having his ups and downs, but that he’s hanging in there. She extends her wishes of peace to all who have sent greetings to her brother.

William Michaelian said...

Another note from Jean:

“I talked to Brian last night and told him about all the get well notes he had on your blog and who they were from. He asked me to thank everyone for their messages. I too appreciate all the kind words. They really touched me. Brian is getting a little stronger each day, but still has problems with his breathing.

Many grateful thanks,

Jean and Brian”

William Michaelian said...

For another update on Brian’s condition, please see this post.