Thursday, November 26, 2009

Brothers


My friend and I were in an elevator and when the door opened we stepped out into his village in Greece. The ground was lush with soft green grass. There was dew on the grass, and a drowsy blue dragonfly on his coat. There was a small gathering of people. They were his friends and relatives, but there were also some strangers present. In halting English, a man greeted me and asked my name. He was in his sixties. His face was broad and weathered by the elements. His hair, what was left of it, was gray. I told him my name. He said, “William. What does that mean. William.” Before I could answer, he started speaking in Greek. Then he wandered off. I was alone. It occurred to me then that I would have to learn Greek. I told myself that it would be easy, if I let it be easy. I said a few words, and when I couldn’t understand them, I smiled, because they seemed to fit in with the conversation I’d heard so far. There was a wall beside me now. A wall without a ceiling. I could hear Greek voices coming from the other side of the wall. My friend was beside me. His eyes were bright with happiness. He needed a shave. It reminded me of my childhood, and touching the stubble on my father’s face. I looked at my palm. I wondered if I should. I did. He closed his eyes. “Brothers,” I said. We were now at the edge of a granite cliff. Dark clouds, patches of blue sky. A man’s shadow on the opposite wall of the canyon. Far below, a river from my youth, an old road beside it, small enough to be a worm in my hand.

Added yesterday to the Annandale Dream Gazette. My thanks, as always, to Lynn Behrendt.


Recently Linked: My thanks to diipo for signing on as a follower of Recently Banned Literature.

Update:
In the Forum: the victim of a traumatic grafting accident.

7 comments:

Rocío Márquez said...

Great William! I love this piece! and it reminds me of Buñuel somehow, doesn't it?...

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Rocío. Interesting. I knew I shouldn’t have eaten that film....

Elisabeth said...

This dream sequence drew my attention to your name. A lovely name, William. It happens to be my husband's name too but everyone calls him Bill, apart from his siblings who call him Billy.

William is such a dignified name. I wonder what this Greek character is wondering on your behalf. Something to do with identity I imagine.

I love dreams but try to resist the impulse to interpret other people's dreams. They are so idiosyncratic and only the dreamer in my view can really understand what lies behind them, if at all.

No matter, they are still wonderful, like little pieces of magic.

What would we do without our dreams?

vazambam said...

This dream sequence clearly shows that William Michaelian aka as Βασίλης Μιχαηλιάν has a deep-seated wish to visit his blood-brother in Greece, William Zambaras aka Vassilis Zambaras aka Βασίλης Ζαμπάρας; it also shows that it will only be a matter of time before he does. In the meantime, he has done a beautiful job of preparing the grounds for this momentous occasion.

William Michaelian said...

Well, dear friend and brother, as you were the friend and brother in the dream, I must say that I agree with your interpretation.

Elisabeth: magic, yes.

kenflett said...

This is beautiful William.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Ken. It’s nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by.