Friday, November 27, 2009

Death


An old man reading at a table,
a curious ghost standing beside him,
lighting the pages with a candle.

(first publication)

Note: After this was written, I remembered that I already have a poem by this title, a slightly longer piece done in 2006. I hate to repeat myself. Then again, Death does, so why can’t I?


Recently Linked: My thanks to Joe Hutchison for linking to Recently Banned Literature in his entry about Tom Montag and Tom’s blog, The Middlewesterner. Joe is right — Tom is “in the zone.”

Updates:
“Death” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

In the Forum: a long nap.

8 comments:

RUDHI - Chance said...

You're pretty painting with letters, William!

William Michaelian said...

Rudhi, it’s interesting you would say that, because I envision the poem as a dark, yet somehow cheerful woodcut.

Akeith Walters said...

As always, you never disappoint...at least not this reader.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Gray. I’m both pleased and grateful for the connection.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

Two poems entitled Death! Good grief, man! How could you?

I've got about six named 'Time', ten or so called 'Space' and maybe fifteen entitled 'Change', two in the same book.

I wouldn't sweat it. :-)

William Michaelian said...

Death Death Death Death Death ...

~im just only me~ said...

How very Eliot of you :P

William Michaelian said...

Well, when it comes to death, I must say that I prefer Ralph Stanley.