Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Better Way


As I look back on the year now ending, I’m amazed by how many wonderful people I’ve met without leaving my desk. Readers, writers, artists, poets, thinkers, teachers, and curious others from all walks of life have immeasurably enriched the passing days.

I thank each and every one of you who are linked in my “Reading Room” and who have linked here, as well as those who have expressed your thoughts in the comment section, be it once or dozens of times. I’m inspired by your talent, energy, and insight, your willingness and need to share.

I’m also grateful to those of you who come and go and return in silence, because in so doing you allow me to imagine your lives and wonder what it is that we might have in common — more, I’m sure, than we realize.

To those who have signed on as “Followers,” thank you once again for jeopardizing your reputation. Somehow, it doesn’t hurt as much when you know we’re in this mess together.

My thanks to those who have exchanged books with me, and who have surprised me by sending yours as gifts. I treasure them all, and keep them here in the room where I write.

I still can’t get over the kind reviews that have been written about The Painting of You, the positive comments about it, and the other blog posts notifying readers of the book’s existence. It makes its subject matter easier for me to bear.

To those of you who have purchased my books, thank you for your demonstration of faith and practicality.

To those who find something of interest or value here and in my main website, you have my gratitude. Writing communicates nothing unless it’s read.

There was a story once. Perhaps I should tell it. It’s about a world in which the inhabitants placed the concerns of others before their own. Their last war had come and gone, and there were none to take its place. Each child was a welcome addition, and was encouraged to dream. The elders were revered. No one died: when their bodies were no longer needed, their unencumbered spirits entered the hearts of those they loved, and who loved them, and dwelt there until, at just the right moment, they returned as light in a newborn’s eyes. It’s about a world that is here now, if we really want it — if we are not so enamored of reality that we cannot imagine a better way.


Recently Linked: Speaking of followers, Brent, another fan of the Norton Anthology of English Literature, is the newest crew member aboard this sinking ship of words. Thanks, Brent.

My thanks, too, to Aleksandra for posting a link to my “silent sequence of drawings,” That Which Is Left Unsaid, on her blog New Times Arrived.

Update:
In the Forum: a curious quest involving Chinese food.

16 comments:

Joseph Hutchison said...

A lovely and (as ever) profound post, William. Gratitude is a good thing, and for some reason it's something I have difficulty putting into words. My "realist" tendencies color every old-year look-back I've ever tried. So I'll just refer folks to this post for a taste of what I wish I could say! Here's to a magnificent new year for you and yours.

William Michaelian said...

...in which I will try to live up to the kind things you’ve said. And somewhere along the line, maybe we can cure you of those “realist tendencies” yet. Thanks for your insightful writing. I wish you the best for 2010.

vazambam said...

As one more grateful follower who has difficulty putting gratitude into words, thanks for this truly generous post from a blog which 2009 was generous enough to send our way! May 2010 be even more bountiful for us all.

William Michaelian said...

And thank you, Vassilis, for your beautiful poems, those gems of light and life.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

Happy New Year, William!

"Let's hope it's a good one
without any fear."

Gary

ALeks said...

Thank you William!
Happy New Year to you and your family!
Aleksandra

Elisabeth said...

You have a way with words William, and this heartfelt letter of thanks to us is no exception.

You are one of the writers and poets I have met early on in my blogging career and your generosity and persistence has been an inspiration to me.

The world you describe at the end of this post is one of great beauty, peace and hope. I cannot imagine it happening because of all the negative traits that exist in us frail humans, but nevertheless it is something to which we might aspire.

Best wishes to you and yours and may this year, 2010, be as good as I have asked it to be, for all of us who make the effort to think about these things, and as well for those who can't.

William Michaelian said...

Beautifully said, Elisabeth, and thanks again for your comments here, and for your thoughtful work at Sixth in Line.

Aleksandra, Happy New Year, and thanks for all of your beautiful posts — the music, the artwork, and the spirit behind them.

Gary, it’s been and still is a pleasure getting to know you, through your comments, books, and poems. Thanks, and good luck in the coming year.

Paul L. Martin said...

Reading and dialoguing with you, William makes my day. Your friendship has changed my life, and that comes from someone who does not make friends easily. You are my older brother. When we do meet, we will have much to talk about and many stories to share over Armenian coffee.

Happy New Year and stay well.

~im just only me~ said...

A happy and blessed new year to you William :)

William Michaelian said...

The same to you, Cassie. As the very first follower of this blog, you deserve an award for bravery. Thanks for your comments and poems, and your priceless sense of humor.

Paul, what can I say? To be held in such regard by someone who values, defends, and lives the life of the mind, and who works daily to put his thoughts and beliefs into action, is an honor indeed. I know it’s been a challenging year; your students might not see it now, but as their lives unfold they will realize how lucky they were to pass through your influence. As I have been and am.

Akeith Walters said...

This is a great blog of someone who I think is a great writer. Always a joy to stop by here.

Rachel said...

Lieber William,

ein gesundes, gesegnetes, glückliches und zufriedenes 2010 wünsche ich dir.

Ja, ich bin gern hier Gast, folge gern deinen Gedanken und fühle mich aufgehoben...

Mögen all deine Wünsche im Neuen Jahr machbar sein und bleiben..

in tiefer Verbundenheit, Rachel

William Michaelian said...

Rachel, thanks for your wonderful wishes, now and throughout the year. Meeting through two languages is a pleasure for me. I hope 2010 is a good year for you.

Gray, I can’t thank you enough. I’m not exaggerating when I say your visits and comments help keep me going.

Akeith Walters said...

Man, I love the "cannon" image here. So well put.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks! — In fact, it’s so explosive, your comment landed here, instead of under this entry....