Friday, December 11, 2009

Into a Strange Land


All around me,
the natives
are breaking words
against battered
anvil-rocks.

The dust of syllables
is in their eyes and hair;
even the children
are yellowed by it
and old.

Poor graceful
creatures they are,
strangled by shades
of meaning.

I love them,
love them all.

Over the land
there runs a network
of gleaming rails.

On the rails
rugged cars loaded
with the detritus
of their craft
are sent chugging
to mills on the horizon.

Inside the mills,
the bits of words
are ground into
a fine paste,
then treated with
a strange compound,
Knowledge.

The paste is then
poured into molds,
where it dries
until it hardens
into sturdy
weightless blocks,
which are used
to make buildings
that hold dreams.

The buildings
are scattered all over
this strange land.

There are as many,
almost, as the people
who raise them.

Many of the dreams
wither and die.

Only a few survive.

They are the most
beautiful things
I have ever seen.

From Songs and Letters, originally published November 20, 2005.


Recently Linked: Best Poetry Blogs: A Baker’s Dozen. What a pleasant surprise to find Recently Banned Literature included in Joe Hutchison’s round-up of poetry blogs! The article, his first at suite101.com, is a helpful introduction to blogs as a resource for poets and readers alike. Several that I frequent are also included, showing either good taste on Joe’s part, or proving that he’s as warped as I am. Either way or both, I know I would have included his blog if I were making such a list. Come to think of it, I already have. The Perpetual Bird is in my “Reading Room.”

Update:
In the Forum: Grandma has really taken a shine to Bukowski.

No comments: