Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Resolved to Revolve


A calendar
shaped

like a roulette wheel,

red for day, black for night,

my last dollar
down

on

3

6

5

.


(first publication)


Recently Linked: My thanks to Vatche for signing on as a follower of Recently Banned Literature, and for linking to this blog and to my main website. Vatche is a seventeen-year-old writer living in Southern California. He has a new blog, The Student Writer’s Mind, which is also linked in the “Reading Room.”

Updates:
“Resolved to Revolve” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

In the Forum: an empty fortune cookie.

11 comments:

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

Don't place your bet on a leap year. :-)

William Michaelian said...

says the wily croupier...

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

BTW, I really like this poem.

I don't know if this is weird or not, but I have always visualized the year as a circle which we follow counter-clockwise through the seasons. Jeez, go figure.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks. Your mental diagram makes sense. Of course that doesn’t answer the question about it being weird.

RUDHI - Chance said...

And you got 365 Awareness-Points each day for this poem from me;-)

John said...

That period, at the end of the poem! The ball has settled into place, the wheel is slowing. Fine poem!

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Rudhi — and in 2010, I will have to start all over again....

John, I appreciate that. Thanks. I love it when people “get the point.”

Elisabeth said...

There's smething about the new year that brings out the gambler in us all. I heard myself say to my husband just now, 'Roll on 2010. I'm sure it's going to be a good year.'

How can I be so sure? Just a wishful hunch, no doubt.

Thanks for this poem here and for all your wonderful words this year.

You amaze me with your poetry, your good will, humour and your generosity. Thanks for being a significant member of my blog world.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Elisabeth, it’s an honor to be considered as such. I feel lucky to have made your acquaintance this year.

For me, gambling is part and parcel of the writing life, and one of its great appeals.

Lola Koundakjian said...

Nice piece William!

William Michaelian said...

Thanks!