Friday, February 12, 2010

Butterscotch Pudding


I was seated near one end of a very long dining table. A few strangers were present. The table was covered by a cheap white cloth that looked like a giant napkin. The main meal had been eaten. In the distance, the salt and pepper shakers looked like windmills or towers, and seemed to be part of a large, rugged landscape. My mother was standing beside me, fretting about what had happened to her butterscotch pudding. As usual, she had poured it into the funny little champagne glasses we had when I was growing up. But the pudding was grainy, pale, and thin. When I asked her if she’d remembered the brown sugar, she was too heartbroken to speak. Then someone said, “Corn starch?” I looked around. That someone was me.

Added yesterday to the Annandale Dream Gazette. My thanks to Lynn Behrendt.


Update:
In the Forum: The Regular Guy: a statistical abstraction, or a real thing in the real world?

7 comments:

Joseph Hutchison said...

Wonderful! The windmill spice shakers ... and the ruined pudding ... and the bemused dreamer offering comfort in the form of a simple explanation (if only a guess—does pudding use corn starch? I'd be the last person on earth to ask). Very touching, William, especially the dreamer's "I" doubling as "someone." There's that existential William Wilson moment that occurs in my dreams fairly often too. Why, I wonder....

William Michaelian said...

Interesting..... Of course, I also have those moments when I’m awake. To answer your corn starch question, yes. I don’t know if all puddings require it; pudding, as much as I like it, is something I’ve never tackled. The dream, though, was kind of hard to take. When I woke up, it was about one-thirty or so, and in my hazy state I wondered if my mother had tried to contact me, perhaps even while she was dreaming....

Joseph Hutchison said...

Well, as Porchia puts it: "When I am asleep I dream what I dream when I am awake. It's a continuous dream." Maybe it's old Antonio you're channeling!

vazambam said...

If you ask this Porchia nut, I'd have to say you are both nuts! Who in his right mind would wake up still asleep and write down a dream before he woke up and in less than 20 minutes get an answer from someone who wonders if he is dreaming when asleep what he dreams when he is awake? Wake up, boys--it's time to go to work!

William Michaelian said...

Damn. I was afraid you’d say that.

Elisabeth said...

Corn starch reminds me, William. When we were children and money was scarce my mother made up 'Maizena pop' for breakfast, water, sugar and corn starch heated over the stove. It filled empty stomachs but offered little by way of nutrition.

An evocative dream here. Thanks.

William Michaelian said...

And thank you. After such a breakfast, you would have needed to brush your teeth with baking soda — which is what my mother did when she was growing up.