Monday, February 8, 2010

Caio Fernandes: The Pictorial Consequence


The Pictorial Consequence
by Caio Fernandes
Blurb.com (2010)

Paper. 120 pages. 7 x 7. $25.00

[click to enlarge]


I bought this book for a very simple reason: it’s a lot cheaper than traveling to São Paulo to meet the artist and see his paintings in person. I would prefer the latter approach, though, because if Caio — I cannot possibly call him “Mr. Fernandes” — is half as exuberant, gracious, and comical as he is during the regular discourse of his blog, Mein Welt, I know it would be a memorable meeting. And I know, as good as the paintings appear online and in this glossy volume, seeing them in their raw, full-sized glory, each inhabiting its own space like a tree in a forest, would bring me that much closer to understanding the man behind them.

At the very beginning of the book, Caio says the paintings speak for themselves. They do — and they must, because they are presented on numberless pages without titles. While this makes it difficult for me to refer to any painting in particular, it does further the artist’s basic premise: each piece is what it is, according to the viewer’s own experience and temperament.

The book is really quite nice. It’s sturdy and slick, and it sits here on my desk like a rock. There is a painting somewhere around the middle, one of many self-portraits, in which the subject’s blue eye (the other one isn’t) threatens to burn a hole in your shirt, or through the other pages when the book is closed. This, I think, explains the smoke.

Let me call this a book of folk art. I say this because to me, most of the paintings feel simultaneously old and new. Several remind me of tribal masks. I’m sure wearing them would give me special powers.


Update:
In the Forum: talkin’ about my degeneration.

9 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

hey ! i like to call it Folk art too . i live out of any "folk" of this world , but i like this .
i am going to visit you William there soon or later , don't worry .
I DON'T LIKE TO PUT TITLES ON THE WORK FOR DO NOT DIRECT THE VIEWER'S SENSIBILITY .
and i always dreamed with a book with no words , as all my exhibitions always had texts of curators and things like that . what i think i bit ofencive sometimes because if the painting needs a text to excuse itself , so shoudn't exist .
thank you Willian by this gift .
see you !!

William Michaelian said...

You’re welcome, Caio. I forgot to mention: your book also glows in the dark. So now we are saving on electricity....

Caio Fernandes said...

what !! glows in the dark!! i must to get one !!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Caio,

I just visited your site. Your work is magnificent!I see the mastery of a De Chirico and Picasso.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Oh, one more thing:

Caio, you must visit the website of my friend Marion Lucka, a superb German artist

http://www.marionlucka.de

Momo Luna said...

Yes, í'm going to buy myself also a book with Caio's great art. I like to read the interactive comments between you and Caio as i also wrote at Caio's place.

William Michaelian said...

Conrad, thanks for reading and having a look at Caio’s work. Thanks also for the link to Marion Lucka.

Momo Luna, Caio’s book is really nice. And it has a life of its own. The last time I looked at it, I found it drinking coffee and talking on the telephone....

elizabeth avedon said...

I have been very impressed with all of Caio's drawings, paintings, and writing....and now a Book! So great to read your reactions on viewing it!

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. Lovely to hear from you. Caio’s depth and character is apparent in everything he does. It’s wonderful to have the book as tangible evidence.