Monday, March 29, 2010

A Distant Realm


I set off down the sidewalk in a warm, light rain. I had no umbrella. The rain felt good on my face. The sidewalk ended at a busy road. Across the road was a flooded field. Before my eyes, there materialized a rising river. To the west lay higher ground. To the east, the road followed a downward slope. The river crashed onto the pavement in great waves. I thought it might alter the course of the road. A young couple approached. The husband was much taller than his wife. As if we’d known each other all our lives, he said, “I hear there’s trouble by the gates.” And I replied, “Yes, in that distant realm.”


Recently Linked: A friendly welcome to Dillie, who has just signed on as a follower. Thank you, Dillie. My thanks, also, to Chris Jarik, a talented young artist from Holland. Chris is the thirteen-year-old son of another friend and artist I admire, Momo Luna. Be sure to visit his new blog, Chris Jarik Art. You’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Update:
In the Forum: before after, after before.

2 comments:

Momo Luna said...

Oh how i love these words. You're a magician with words dear William. I feel the peace of the soft and warm rain, can almost smell the fresh rain, feeling peaceful but how is that possible when trouble is on its way. So clever, mixing all kind of emotions and still feel joy. :-)

William Michaelian said...

Ah, Momo Luna — I don’t know. But I’m glad you feel this way. Thank you, and say hello to Chris for me....