Tuesday, March 30, 2010

William Michaelian by Laura Tedeschi



Time and again, I’m amazed by the talent, and moved by the kindness and grace, of the people I meet online. When I began my Web sojourn back in 2001, I began it as I begin all things: by throwing caution to the wind, and setting my sights on an imagined, ever-changing horizon. All my life I’ve traveled thus, adventure now, the details later, sink or swim — shown, and shown again, that the details are the adventure.

One such detail is this glorious new portrait by a wonderful painter and person I admire, Laura Tedeschi. I’ve been following Laura’s blog, nouvelles couleurs, for quite some time now. Laura lives in Vienna and writes in Italian. I live in Salem and write in English. She knows English well enough to understand the comments I make on her colorful paintings, which strike me as a form of music and poetry on canvas. And she knows it well enough to understand not only the meaning of what I write, but what drives me to write the way I do, so often long in pain and short in words, and with a smile that shows no teeth.

Laura, I think, paints the same way. Her light is touched by sorrow, and her brooding overflows with brightness, gratitude, and joy.

Thank you, Laura, for this beautiful surprise. Your painting is a treasure, and it will remain so long after I’m gone.


3.30.2010 #2
3.30.2010 #1 (new poem and recent links)


15 comments:

Kenneth Griggs said...

That is awesome. She has a load of talent.

Rachel said...

Lieber William,

ja, ich habe es schon bei Laura bewundert, sie kann es wirklich sehr gut und ist nicht nur eine sehr gute Malerin, auch ein liebevolles Menschenkind..

herzlich, Rachel

kenflett said...

A beautiful portrait, passionate strokes, and what lovely words you write to describe it all.

~im just only me~ said...

Awesome Possum! The color is fantastic!

Anthony Duce said...

Wonderful painting. She is good. Great words by you too.

William Michaelian said...

Kenneth, thanks. You’re right, Laura is something. I hope you spend some time exploring her websites.

Hello, Rachel, I know you’ve been visiting Laura’s blog for some time now, and I saw your nice comment there. As Kenneth said, she has talent, and a great personality to match. Thank you.

Ken, I love your observation, “passionate strokes.” And they’re quite apparent even on a computer screen. I can hardly wait to see the painting in person, and to live with it on a daily basis. We shall see which of us is first to address the other out loud.

Cassie! You know I’ve always been a black-and-white sort of guy, and here I am, all colorized! There goes my somber image....

Anthony, much appreciated. I hope what I wrote lives up to the painting. Either way, they are companions now....

Elisabeth said...

Your face has undergone so many transformation s under pen and brush. This is an exquisite portrait. I love the artist's use of colour. I will now check out Laura's blog. She is hugely talented.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Elisabeth. I find these colors and the way they’re combined very appealing. A few minutes ago, I was thinking how much fun it would be if I could walk into the post office or grocery store looking just like this portrait, and to find that everyone there had also been artistically rendered....

Momo Luna said...

What a great portrait William! Beautiful colours indeed, i love the sunlight in your hair.
Beautiful words also for this talented lady. :-)

ALeks said...

What love and patients in this painting,congratulations William Im really happy for you to be cherished by all these lovely and highly talented people,and how sweet you have written about Laura and her work.Wonderful!

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Wow!

William,

you've been immortalized in Art two times over now.

Laura,

the portrait is masterly, true to the man's joyful heart.

Joseph Hutchison said...

Amazing, William--and Laura! Jerry Garcia meets Tolstoy. How appropriate!

William Michaelian said...

Aleksandra, thanks for your beautiful comment. I count you among the lovely and talented people.

Say, Conrad, I wonder: if I’ve been immortalized twice, does that mean I’ll live forever twice as long? Nah....

Joe, dag nab it! You know I take that as a compliment! Then again, wasn’t it Gogol who wrote The Grateful Dead Souls?

JRonson said...

i saw this one on her blog, it's just awesome :) lucky man !

William Michaelian said...

I agree! Thanks for your visit — it’s nice to hear from you again!