Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Happy Gardener


The tomato plants I put in the other day grew noticeably during the night — just as I feel this blog has done. One need only substitute “friends” for “sun.” Your gracious comments are inspiring in their abundance, and in their substance. They’re also fun. For I’m not as serious as you might imagine. I do often speak in terms of life and death, but in this dance I’m the one who steps on toes and stumbles his way to the punch bowl. Who spiked this drink? Never mind; I know — you all have, and therefore must pardon my pentecostal blather.

There are simply too many names to mention. But you know who you are. And new visitors will soon find you, and, as I have, follow the links to your own bright worlds. They will surely be missing out if they don’t.

Paul Martin, author of the fine blog The Teacher’s View, discussed this phenomenon in his recent post, “Looking Around the Blogosphere.” He and I agree that we are involved in something quite wonderful. And one of the things that makes it so is that the blog, as a medium of expression, is so immediate and open-ended. Like any art form and means of communication, its limitations are our own. We have to be open to the idea of us serving its purpose rather than it serving ours. It isn’t easy to do. In fact, I’m still struggling a bit with the notion myself. But I’ve just about reached the point where I’m willing to declare Recently Banned Literature ours instead of mine... if I can only bend this stiff old ego a little further, it might not snap after all.

Here’s to the past, then, and to each of you who have played a role, silent or otherwise. Here’s to the present, which is inexhaustible. Here’s to us, and the smiling force that brings us together.


Update:
In the Forum: three great men who did not exist in their lifetime.

8 comments:

vazambam said...

Green thumb Willie--

And here's to the gardener who brought all these fruits together!!

lakeviewer said...

I'll drink to that! Blogging is makikng believers of most of us.

Old 333 said...

Every wizard needs a garden! And we are in the middle of the beginning of the greatest flowering of art and knowledge since movable type. Hell, this is MOTILE type. Blog ON!

William Michaelian said...

Vassilis: And here’s to the fearless application of fertilizer.

Thanks, lakeviewer — that it is.

PG — great word choice, motile.

all ways 11 o'clock said...

William- This may sound a tad ridiculous but I didn't really understand Blogging until recently. The idea of community eluded me here and as a result was very impersonal, just a place to exhibit. The idea to share and contribute, learn and laugh with so many people is just so wonderful.
...slow is I.
~robert.

William Michaelian said...

On the other hand, there are slow-growing trees that are still standing after hundreds, even thousands, of years. But from what I gather, there are numerous others who do use their blogs as a place to exhibit. Some don’t even enable the comment feature, and many don’t bother to respond to comments. I guess it depends on how a person is wired. As for myself, I can’t being to calculate the benefits I derive from the daily give and take here and elsewhere. Or the amount of inspiration.

Paul L. Martin said...

Blogging eliminates the distance betweeen us. We gather in this room and discuss philosophy, life, love, fire, passion, literally anything that strikes our fancy. And readers respond with their own thoughts and opinions. That is what I love. Whereas I once sent out those words to magazines and journals only to never hear from them again, now I send to the internet and find readers and writers who are willing to engage in the discussion. The internet removes the barrier to publication and readership.

I feel so rich when I visit your site, William, or Annie's in Canada, or Elisabeth's down under, etc. etc. The web goes on and on. So many voices, and all have a distinct character, a compelling answer or insight that makes my day, and I am sure, makes the day of other readers around the world.

As one of your commentators says, it is a garden, this web. I also feel we are living in a time similar to the invention of the printing press, as another alludes to in his comment. Great things are definitely happening and the final result is far from certain. Where do we go from here?

Thank you for the shout out, William.

William Michaelian said...

You’re welcome, Paul. And thanks again for weaving this blog into your discussion.

Where do we go from here? Frankly, I love not knowing, and forging ahead on that basis. For me, a day online is very much like swallowing a whirlwind of words, languages, and ideas. And what I hear and see becomes part of the fabric of my work and outlook.