Thursday, June 24, 2010

One Hand Clapping


One Hand Clapping is the third volume in my Author’s Press Series. Cover art for this 444-page first edition is by my friend, the inimitable artist of wonder and Zen, Rudhi:



One Hand Clapping
Author’s Press Series, Vol. 3
ISBN: 978-0-557-151095-5
444 pages. Paper. $23.00

Cover art by Rudhi (Rudolf Rüscher)
www.rudhi.at

Subjects:
Autobiography. Dreams. Family History. Literature.
Memoir. Politics. War. Writing.


[click to enlarge]



Copies can be ordered securely online here. As always, if you’d like to order directly from me for any reason, I’d be happy to oblige. Just drop me a line using the email address at the bottom of the sidebar and we’ll go from there. Paypal is an excellent option.

As a daily journal, One Hand Clapping is a record of my life and the life around me during a two-year period. Between my ears, however, it’s much more than that, because I was conscious from the beginning of its development as a cohesive work — or, at the very least, a book with certain themes that recur like timely nightmares. While I succeeded in this to some extent, One Hand Clapping is every bit as much a bedside reader, in that one can jump in and out of the book at random and still come away with something of humor and value. Either way, after living with it for a time, you will know me better — and, if you’re open to the idea, you just might know yourself better as well.

It isn’t easy to sum up the content of the book. It contains nearly a quarter of a million words. Here’s the main part of the book description as it appears in my store:

“Designed and published by William Michaelian, the Author’s Press Series was conceived as a set of relatively inexpensive, uniformly designed titles meant to explore different themes and facets of his writing. The third volume, One Hand Clapping, is a daily journal begun during the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 and completed in 2005. In it the topics of war and politics are interspersed with a wealth of autobiographical material, family history, dreams, and the author’s thoughts on art, literature, and society. Candid throughout, the 730 entries in this book are key in understanding his vision of the world.”

There’s much more to it, of course. The fact is, One Hand Clapping is an indispensable part of my “canon.” And shot from a cannon, it will yield one heck of a thud.


Also in this Series:
Vol. 1 — The Painting of You
Vol. 2 — No Time to Cut My Hair


12 comments:

-K- said...

You're a little on the prolific side, aren't you?

Joseph Hutchison said...

Congratulations, William! I'll be adding this one to my own groaning bookshelf.

RUDHI - Chance said...

You make me proud, lucky and curious, and I do a little dance around, like a cat, tryiung to catch its tail! I hope, my little *Socrates-Sherpa* will bring huge success to your new baby, William!!! Yours, Rudhi

vazambam said...

$23, eh? Let's see. If you divide that by that eye-catching 444 (a number only someone previously in advertising could have dreamed up), each page would cost the prospective reader only 5.18 cents, so it makes good sense/cents (for those of us who have enough cents/sense) to order this book. Does that make sense/cents?

(Something tells me I have enough sense/cents to order this tome.)

vazambam said...

Hmmm..something tells me there's a zero missing up above--more like half a cent per page--does that make half-sense? (I hated maths in high school!)

Alberto Oliver said...

Congratulations William, to write is always an act of faith, hope everything you believe and wish with your new book to become real.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

book covers play an important role,
in an image summarizing the soul of the book, and it is not at all easy selection and execution,
congratulations to you both!!
I often went "on the nose" in choosing books according even to the cover

William Michaelian said...

Kevin, what I’m doing is trying to clean off my desk so I can really get to work.

Thanks, Joe! At 1.6 pounds, One Hand Clapping just might be the straw the broke the camel’s back.

Rudhi, I’m still amazed at how perfect your Daemon looks on the cover. I’m the lucky one, and proud too.

Vassilis, as one hobbled mathematician to another, you left out the good scents of the printed page itself — which, in my opinion, makes this an even better bargain.

Alberto, your good thoughts are gratefully received. I wish the book a long life, and the touch of many minds and hands.

Thank you, Laura. What you say about a book’s appearance is so true. Some of them want to be picked up, and even demand it. For me, Rudhi’s artwork is like a window looking in. And each time I do, I see something different. And that, I think, is the soul of this volume.

Momo Luna said...

Yes, Laura is so right. I often choose a book from a writer i don't know (yet) by the cover that attracts me. The Deamon of Ruhdi would surely catch my attention.

Congratulations for you both. And i sure gonna buy your new book William. By finishing the others i just need some more (new) William magic. :-)

Enjoy your weekend!

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Momo Luna. How wonderful it is that you will have all three volumes. That makes me happy and proud indeed. And yes, Daemon and One Hand Clapping are good soul mates, their destinies now intertwined....

Wine and Words said...

I love the title. It would make anyone pick up the book. I imagine they also applaud loudly while reading...with both hands.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Annie. But if they use both hands, they’ll lose their place....