Wednesday, June 16, 2010

To the Brim


I’m so disappointed in hats these days that I’ve started looking for them in online Civil War and Victorian shops. To accommodate my hair and beard, I need something with a very wide brim and a crown that isn’t excessively high. It should probably be black, but the right gray or even a dark rich coffee color would suffice. I have a floppy black beret I bought years ago for eleven dollars when my head was smaller. It looks ridiculous now. I also have a black wool cap from Armenia. It’s flat on top, and the style used to be common there, especially among older men, but I’ve seen pictures of soccer stadiums filled with men wearing them. I do love old black-and-white crowd scenes full of hats and cigarettes. With the right hat, I could walk right into one and never be heard from again, at least until supper time.


6.16.2010 #2
6.16.2010 #1 (drawing)


7 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

oh huts... now i must thinking an the impressionists painter, working en plein air, they were nicknamed "the painters with long hair and beard" and I have a book with original picture of Cezanne with a large hut working under the sun and he likes like you... now I remember...

:-) tomorrow I sow to made a post about le paintre de Barbizon :-) thank you William for the idea :-)

William Michaelian said...

You’re welcome! I didn’t know about that impressionist nickname. I would love to see that picture of Cezanne....

rahina q.h. said...

i need a hat too! a nice one with a brim, maybe straw, maybe cloth, but one that feels like i was made for it... check one out for me on your internet travels... my head is probably not as big as yours:))

Elisabeth said...

You should come to my house, William and borrow one of ours. My husband collects hats from all over the world. He has pith hats from Africa and Tirolean hats from the alps, French berets galore, Canadian Danile Boone, Australian slouch hats and metal trench hats from the WW2. There's surely something to suit your tastes.

William Michaelian said...

Rahina, let us hope so, for your sake.

A hat collector! Elisabeth, I like your husband already.

Joseph Hutchison said...

I seldom wear hats. They constrict the flow of alien ions that carries poems into my head. Besides, I don't need one--as my wife pointed out the other day. I was sitting at my desk as she walked by, glanced down, and said (not unkindly), "You look like you're wearing a skin yarlumke." I laughed, but not as quickly as I should have....

William Michaelian said...

Joe, I assure you, I just made up for your delay.