Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Freedom and the Leash


From One Hand Clapping, dated October 7, 2003:

I had heard it said that it is good to exercise one’s intelligence. Years ago, I took mine out for a walk. It was such a beautiful day, my intelligence broke its leash. I haven’t seen it since. But I still carry the leash, just in case. On a good day, the foregoing might have been a poem. Today, however, it is merely clever and irritating. Or am I too distracted at the moment to realize how brilliant it really is? Because, now that I think about it, it is really quite Zen-like. A person could meditate upon such a verse for hours. It is as tightly woven as a rock, and as light as a cloud. Maybe I should try another one. I had heard it said that it is intelligent to exercise. Years ago, I took a walk. It was such a beautiful day, I broke my leash. I have been free ever since. But my intelligence still carries the leash, just in case. Yes, yes. I do believe I’m on to something here.


Update:
In the Forum: silence, that intangible tiny hiatus.

13 comments:

Elisabeth said...

And what about the 'sound' of one hand clapping, William? You are certainly onto something Zen-like here.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

very thin and sharp William, I like this one

William Michaelian said...

The sound of one hand clapping, Elisabeth? Surely you don’t want me to give away the entire plot....

Thank you, Laura. One of my greatest challenges is to find new ways to say that I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

Willy. said...

If i go walking, by nature,
am i overloaded by intelligence!
Perhaps from yours?

William Michaelian said...

Ha! Well, it’s probably hungry by now, so don’t let it bite you.

Janice said...

Keep neither one on a leash William...they should both run free! But then you exercise your intelligence so you know this :)

William Michaelian said...

Ah, Janice, you’re kind. What I know is that I don’t know.

Janice said...

Yes William but you hide it so well that one never knows if you do know that you don't know or maybe you do know but you don't know that you do know...I'm lost and at my age that can be dangerous, I may not find my way back :)

William Michaelian said...

Well, you find your way here, so that’s a good sign. Or is it? No — don’t answer that question.

-K- said...

My flippant response is that its very well written, considering you had a leash in your hand while writing it.

My slightly more serious response is that, like so much of your writing, I felt a slight shift or perhaps it was a tingle in my still-leashed intelligence as I read it.

William Michaelian said...

Well, any more serious than that and I’ll be obliged to make sense. Or to try, anyway.... Thanks, Kevin.

Momo Luna said...

I love your humour William. It brings light and joy and it's a fine start while thinking about what you are saying. You write so well, and i have to be patient for just a view days and then i'll buy this book. I can't wait to read all of this, the you don't know what you're talking about. But talking about so nice....

William Michaelian said...

Ah, Momo Luna, I love to imagine the book sitting like a brick on your table — a brick heavy with joy and nonsense and little secret messages. I smile just thinking about it.

And I will be ordering your new book soon as well. It will be a great moment when it arrives.