Friday, July 30, 2010

Momo Luna: Silent Echoes



Silent Echoes
by Momo Luna
(Monica Croese)

Drawings 1994-2010

Blurb (2010)



Further proof that magic happens off the beaten path is Momo Luna’s lovely new book, Silent Echoes, just released through Blurb. Those of you acquainted with the artist through her blog are already aware of her talent and charm. She’s like a wicked-tender spirit of the night, lighthearted and serious at the same time, playful, mysterious, and intelligently naughty. In her own words:

My work is impregnated with mythology, but I love to change or knock over established realities. Often the angels in my work are malicious and the demons innocent. Gods, angels and demons often appear in my work. The humans are most of the time naked, so vulnerable, embodying emotions....

I consider my work figurative with a surrealistic touch. If you take a good look, you will discover multiple layers and depths....

All true — and the results are haunting, sometimes disturbing, and colorful in ways that might leave Mother Nature smiling and scratching her head, as if to say, “I wish I’d thought of that.”

The book, a beautiful glossy presentation of just under a hundred pages, is also graced with a sprinkling of brief poems and passages by the Holland-based artist. The words arrive unexpectedly, and pass like “silent echoes” from a dream or a fairy tale.

For complete publication information and book preview, click here.

11 comments:

Inkpunk Artworks said...

William,

Bravo! You have hit the nail right on the head in your tribute to Monica. It's very rare that a soul like hers comes around, and I'm grateful for all that she brings us.

Take care,
Brian

ALeks said...

Only you can write something like this!Generous as always,true beautiful mind able seeing true beauty!Wonderful tribute to Momo and her book! I hope you Blurb people will sell thousands of books,good luck to every one of you!! :)
Lovely post!

William Michaelian said...

As am I, Brian. Thank you!

Thanks, Aleksandra! Your beautiful supportive comments alone would fill a Blurb book!

Woman in a Window said...

You have both the gift of sight and word. You perfectly describe what I believe of Momo. I wish her success, too, whatever that might mean to her. It is yet another work that I wish to own the tailcoats of, another book as heart to hold in the hand.

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Erin.... “as heart to hold in the hand”.... lovely.

Caio Fernandes said...

this is a great post , only you to write this way.
yes , it is a true and Monica's book is fenomenal.

William Michaelian said...

It is — and the more time you spend with it, the more you see and the better it is. Thanks, Caio.

Janice said...

William I want to publish a book just so you can write something beautiful and wonderful about it for me...
"Momo Luna: Silent Echoes" is on my "want to own" list. I hope it will be soon...it looks fantastic on blurb!

William Michaelian said...

It’s amazing — as good as the art looks on the screen, the book brings it to life in the way only printing and paper can. A much richer experience.

I think I’d have a lot of fun writing about those magical little paintings of yours....

Momo Luna said...

Dear, dear William,
thank you so much for this wonderful post with such beautiful words about my book, my art and me. I'm very grateful and blushing a bit of joy and amazement. Ánd i'm jumping as well as a little kid, so very proud of these words and telling my hubbie and kids: "isn't that amazing, how sweet of William!!" And i'm BIGsmiling, looking idioticly happy. :-)

Thank you again dear friend. I appreciate this a lot (and that's an understatement)

With gratitude, sweet greetz and xoxo Monica

William Michaelian said...

Monica, I’m so happy you’re pleased. Now it’s my turn to smile! Your book, I know, will bring inspiration and joy to everyone who finds it. And so I thank you for publishing it. The world needs your bright vision.