Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Somewhere in Norway


A special thanks to Bent Sørensen for presenting the title poem from my book, Another Song I Know, on his fine blog, Lumpy Pudding. When you visit, not only will you find the poem, but Bent’s new Danish translation, thus marking the first time work of mine has been translated into that language. What a great surprise!

I’ve been following Lumpy Pudding for over a year now. I also recommend Bent’s other blog, Ordinary Finds, where he treats visitors to photos and thumbnail sketches of notable people from the arts world and other walks of life. Links to both can also be found in the “Reading Room.”

*

My thanks, also, to Erin, author of the tiny leaf, for her amazing response to my recent Notebook entry, “My Father Walking, and Twenty-four Other Things.” I was about to respond when she did so for me in her post’s comment section:

and so after a ride on a country road and talking this out further, I slap myself in the head, for when I read William I made a very real and deep reaction and assumption that what he might hold back is horrible, for that is all that I choose to hold back. perhaps the stories he holds in bay are intimate or of a personal nature in some way that is so private....

Yes, that’s it exactly.


Note: I’ve received several comments on yesterday’s post and other recent entries that have yet to appear in the comment section. I assume Blogger will get it straightened out eventually. I will certainly respond when they do.

Update:
In the Forum: Pop, boom, bang, wait.

6 comments:

Bent said...

Thanks to William for his ever gracious acknowledgement. It was a great pleasure receiving his fine book and translating a poem so filled with images and resonances...

Bent

PS: A few of my other poetry translations (these, however, into English) can be found here...

William Michaelian said...

Bent, thanks again. The fact is, I’d love to hear your translation. Certainly I can’t do it justice. And thanks for the link to Rare Finds — as if anything you present is ever really “ordinary”!

Janice said...

William I am so thankful to you for showing me where to find these very talented artists and their blogs...

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Janice. There are some amazing things going on out there, that’s for sure, and I’m always happy to spread the news.

Meanwhile, I see Blogger is still having comment trouble. Many comments that were visible before the problem have now disappeared, while those that appeared after their “fix” are still there. Oh, well — things are bound to get back to normal eventually....

Woman in a Window said...

Thank you William. I am a little slow in learning and no fool (well~) to think that in any way I'm done learning, but sometimes I speak (or write) while I am directly in the process of learning. I'm glad I caught that of your piece, although later. It surprises me how deeply we run in the blood of our own thoughts and are held back from seeing just a little clearly sometimes. It was startling to think that perhaps your motivations are entirely different than mine. (Ha!) A good and humbling lesson. I'd like to think that I'll be a little more quiet and careful next time (I'll try to be) but I'm afraid that perhaps I won't be. But I do hope that at least I will continue to think things out and find my way, sooner or later.

much appreciation,
xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Erin, the appreciation goes both ways. At the same time, there are things I’ve written about that just a few years ago I thought would never see the light of day. So my “never” should probably be seen as a thing of the moment. It might really be never, or at some point I might be overwhelmed by the need to explain, or simply to say. I have nothing specific in mind as I write this. Indeed, there will likely come a time, if it hasn’t already, when memory will fail to serve.