Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Carnival Days


For a dime, the seller transferred a bunch of hot air balloons to my hand. Overhead, I could see the riders in their baskets. They were dressed to the nines and drinking champagne. I walked them home by common string, wondering how they’d fit through the door. I fiddled at the latch and felt at the frame; there must be a secret somewhere. Then came a shout, and the walls fell away. Sunlight and dust; bright-golden leaves. The string gave a tug. I set them all free. And that was the end of their dream of me.

(first publication)




“Canvas 74”
August 23, 2010

[click to enlarge]



Updates:
“Carnival Days” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

In the Forum: Hog Butcher for the World / Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, / Player with Railroads and the Nation’s Freight Handler, / Stormy, husky, brawling, / City of the Big Cigarettes.

10 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

the titel of this post goes good with the dream...

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, dear Laura. And such is life on an early autumn afternoon.

Wine and Words said...

A tear
that falls thrice
to the same
valley
becomes wart
to the face
that can't
move on

William Michaelian said...

And by such words
my fortune is read.

A smile breaks through.
Someone blinks as if
it were the sun.

Akeith Walters said...

Mr. Wm...this is just great. Very touching and oh the layers I can see.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks very much, Gray. Flight is nice, but there are so many things we can see from the ground.

Taini said...

Do we dream the dream where we become the dream and with the light do we awake or just start another...

Your drawing reminds me of the man in the moon William...a crescent moon.

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Taini. Like your dream question, about halfway through the drawing, I was wondering which came first, the man or the moon....

Woman in a Window said...

I do believe you sometimes exist in an inverse universe. I wonder, do you stretch marks with all the contorting?

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

No, but the universe does.