Monday, August 2, 2010

One Man’s Treasure: The Painting of You


Excerpts from a wonderful letter about The Painting of You from Paul Donohoe, shared here with his kind permission:

I read it cover to cover in one sitting. At first I made notes: passages that struck me, lines from poems I liked, or ideas that resonated. Then I stopped doing that, realising that I was doing a great disservice to a great work of art — and heart....

So I won’t go on about what lines inspired me or what ideas resonated. All I will say is that this work is so full of truth and love....

It is a true work of art, William, and one you should be proud of. I consider it a true gift that I have had the opportunity to read it, to share your experience....

I have a couple of shelves in my office for my “treasures.” Your book is sitting there now. I am proud to know you.

Thank you, Paul!




The Painting of You



8.2.2010 #2
8.2.2010 #1 (drawing)


9 comments:

Momo Luna said...

What a great letter William! And i totally agree with Paul. I couldn't lay the book beside me. Indeed so beautiful written with so much love.
A true work of art it is indeed.

And today i got an email that they send your book One hand clapping. So next week on my holidays in France i have all the time of the world in la douce France, reading your wonderful words. I'm looking forward to it.

Sweet greetz and xxx

William Michaelian said...

Great news, Momo Luna. Good to hear you’re taking a little vacation. And my book is going along? I hope it doesn’t make your luggage too heavy!

It’s truly an honor for me to have readers and friends like you and Paul.

Have a fun time, and thank you!

Janice said...

This is a wonderful book William! One you can be very proud of! I love books that beg you to read them over and over again...this is one of those! I shall, I have and I'll do it again!!!

William Michaelian said...

Janice, I love that. It sounds like a rallying cry. The book has a special place in my heart, for reasons I’m sure you understand. That you feel this way about it means the world to me.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

:-) I think "The painting of you" must be really, as Paul said a great book, I have don't read it, but I want do do it in Autumn,
since I read about your book, William, and his histrory, I want to read it, my english now it is a little better to read a book, and you now, a book like this need to be read whit time... even for a english mother languige..
but for me is ideal because I will take me lot of time with this book...

Elisabeth said...

Wonderful, William, such well deserved genuine appreciation. It can be hard to come by. Remember it always.

William Michaelian said...

Laura, it would be ideal for me too, because I know you would notice every detail.... Thank you, Laura.

Thank you, too, Elisabeth. I shall.

Woman in a Window said...

Such sweetness in this life.

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Yes. Thanks, Erin.