Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Library at Night


On the telephone recently with my friend Paul Martin, I mentioned I was reading and enjoying Alberto Manguel’s A History of Reading. Not surprisingly, Paul was familiar with Manguel, and said he thought I’d enjoy another book of his, The Library at Night. Then, yesterday afternoon, only five days later, a package arrived and I found this book inside — the volume generously inscribed by Paul the day after we’d talked.



The Library at Night
by Alberto Manguel

Yale University Press
New Haven & London

First published in Canada in 2006
First published in the United States in 2008

373 pages

[click to enlarge]



Chapter Titles

The Library as Myth
The Library as Order
The Library as Space
The Library as Power
The Library as Shadow
The Library as Shape
The Library as Chance
The Library as Workshop
The Library as Mind
The Library as Island
The Library as Survival
The Library as Oblivion
The Library as Imagination
The Library as Identity
The Library as Home


And now this book is home, in a room defined by these very same terms. Thank you, Paul.

7 comments:

Transcend Designs said...

Be sure to update us on how it is...
It seems it couldn't be anything but engrossing...!

William Michaelian said...

Definitely. With chapter titles like these, we can’t go wrong.

Nicole said...

Hi William,
that's funny - coincidence, I am reading "A history of Reading" at the moment. It's my first book of Manguel, "The Library at night" seem to be interesting also. I will have a look.
Hey, even I don't leave so much comments, but I like your blog a lot.

With greetings from rainy Germany
Nicole

William Michaelian said...

Hi, Nicole, and greetings from cloudy Oregon. I like A History of Reading — it’s an educational, interesting, entertaining book. And I’m looking forward to this one. I usually read three or four books at a time, going back and forth between them during the course of the day.

Paul L. Martin said...

I am glad it arrived safely, William. Always a pleasure to spread a little love around, especially regarding libraries. We have had some good conversations about that subject over the years. Read and enjoy.

Jean Spitzer said...

An update, after you explore it, please.

William Michaelian said...

You know I will, Paul. And I expect more discussion along these lines in years to come. The eloquent, timely appearance of your gift is a beautiful surprise. Your generosity, though, is not. Thanks again.

Jean, it will be my pleasure.