Sunday, September 26, 2010

Piled Higher and Deeper




The five books in the center of this photo are part of a limited edition set of Harvard Classics published by P.F. Collier & Son Company in New York in 1909 and 1910. The set number is 4266. The volumes, each of which cost five dollars, are from the library of one David Williams Lattimer.

Volume 7: The Confessions of St. Augustine, translated by Edward B. Pusey; The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A Kempis, translated by William Benham. 379 pages.

Volume 8: French and English Philosophers, Descartes, Rousseau, Voltaire, Hobbes. 434 pages.

Volume 24: On Taste; On the Sublime and Beautiful; Reflections on the French Revolution; A Letter to a Noble Lord, by Edmund Burke. 442 pages.

Volume 29: The Voyage of the Beagle, by Charles Darwin. 547 pages.

Volume 48: Blaise Pascal. Thoughts, translated by W.F. Trotter. Letters, translated by M.L. Booth. Minor Works, translated by O.W. Wight.


The other two books were part of a two-for-one fiction sale.

At left: The Valley of Decision, by Edith Wharton. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York (1902). 656 pages. $1.50.

At right: The Edwardians, by V. Sackville-West. Doubleday, Doran & Company, New York (1930). 314 pages. $2.00.


Update:
In the Forum: counseling, paranoia, and a good stiff drink.

5 comments:

Wine and Words said...

The books are glowing. There is something comforting in their antiquity. I have an old Underwood typewriter. Of late, I find myself running my fingers over the round black keys, plunking out half strokes of half thoughts. The old thing comforts me. And the smell of your books...yes...I can smell them from here. They comfort me also. Had a wine last night that smelled similar.

William Michaelian said...

It must have been excellent. And as for old books and typewriters, you know I feel just the same. Thanks, Annie.

jasmin said...

dear William, what remains, words, thoughts Written books, each page is a treasure of words, in loving thoughts Jasmin...

Two Tigers said...

Hah! Before I got to the comments section and saw what Wine & Words wrote, my first thought was "I can smell those old books from here!" My second thought was "I wonder if William has an old manual typewriter?" Mine is a Royal Quiet Deluxe, and there is nothing quiet about its voice. Third thought: I can feel those rough-cut page edges! Thanks for indulging a fellow bibliophile.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Jasmin. What you say is so very true....

Gabriella, those rough-cut pages get me every time. I have a couple of old Royals; they’re from the Fifties, I think; one is pica, the other elite. They weigh a ton. You can see the former, along with more books, in this entry.