Thursday, October 14, 2010

Milton, Aesop, Grimm, and Andersen



The first facsimile reproduction
(full size) of a page of the
manuscript of “Paradise Lost,”
published by permission from
the original in the library of
J. Pierpont Morgan, Esq.

[click to enlarge]



The Complete Poems of John Milton. The Harvard Classics. P.F. Collier & Son Company, New York (1909). 463 pages. $5.00.

Folk-Lore and Fable: Aesop, Grimm, Andersen. The Harvard Classics. P.F. Collier & Son Company, New York (1909). 383 pages. $5.00.

Note: These volumes are part of the set I mentioned here and here. The pages in the photo fold out of the Milton volume between Pages 96 and 97. The text beneath is printed on an onion-skin overlay.

2 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

oh this is amazing...

William Michaelian said...

I was surprised to find the manuscript page, and didn’t know it was there until I was paging through the book while my son and I were looking at the book over coffee. A few hours later, between some other pages, I found a very thin piece of lined brown paper with someone’s handwriting on it. The paper had been in the book so long that it had stained the pages brown, and left its imprint. After looking at it, I put it back where I found it.