Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What’s left?


I write and eat with my right hand. But for the life of me, I can blow my nose only with the left. I kick with my left foot. When my older brothers taught me how to play baseball in the dirt lot by our house on the farm, I started out batting with my left hand and only gradually learned to hit with my right. For several years, I could bat comfortably either way. I’ve always thrown, though, with my right hand. Nowadays, my right hand is much stronger than my left. There are probably many things about my hands that I fail to observe. Do they, for instance, have distinct lives, habits, and personalities? Are they, despite working well together, also on separate missions? Do they meet privately while I sleep and converse?




Drawn with the left hand, 2
November 1, 2010

[click to enlarge]





Drawn with the left hand, 3
November 1, 2010

[click to enlarge]


7 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Hi William, what for a nice tought is yours!
I read somewhere that the left hand is linked to that part of the artistic or creative brain
I think is so, I'm a left paiinter but I do another things with the right hand...

in Europe is not so long ago when the teachers forced the children to write with his right hand, I luckily have not had problems with my teacher and I have written and drawn with the left ..

:-)

Woman in a Window said...

Presently my hands are residing in a remote location, my brain and my hands only corresponding through handwritten and mailed bits of writing. I am somewhere in between. The envelopes pass right in front of my nose!

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Laura, I’m glad you weren’t forced to use the right hand. That has always troubled me. Now I have to study your portrait again....

Erin, how well I know that feeling.... more than a feeling, yes, the very fact of it.

RUDHI - Chance said...

Ahhh, William, your ghosts become more and more real - tremendous fantastic, this Nr.2'nd 3!! Left or right, sometimes I try to do things lefthanded, but keeping on righthanded path...

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Rudhi. For a short time, the left hand was listening to the right hand; then it was only pretending to listen; finally, the right hand started listening to the left, as if to say, “I wonder what I’ve been missing?” But that was yesterday. We’ll see what kind of trouble they get into today.....

Two Tigers said...

Does this mean you are both adroit and sinister?

I have known a few people naturally lefties who were literally rectified as children but as they aged began to use each hand for different tasks, and never quite relied on one or the other as the dominant. I do like the idea of the two hands, as well as all of our doubled parts that exist in a state of asymmetry, having different personalities!

Have you ever seen those photos that split your face in half and then pair left with left and right with right side to form two completely different people? Some of the left/left ones look slightly devilish, as does your "left hand, 2" hmmm.....

William Michaelian said...

Ah, but of course he is not symmetrical, as the left/left, right/right pairings are, and which makes them so startling and strange. I wonder what would happen if we did the same with him....