Sunday, December 19, 2010

Coronado’s Children



Coronado’s Children
[click to enlarge]





Coronado’s Children
[click to enlarge]



Coronado’s Children
Illustrated by Ben Carlton Mead
The Southwest Press, Dallas, Texas
(1930)

367 pages. $4.00.


From the preface, “In the Beginning”:

These tales are not creations of mine. They belong to the soil and to the people of the soil. Like all things that belong, they have their roots deep in the place of their being, deep too in the past. They are an outgrowth; they embody the geniuses of divergent races and peoples who even while fiercely opposing each other blended their traditions. However all this may be, the tales are just tales. As tales I have listened to them in camps under stars and on ranch galleries out in the brush. As tales, without any ethnological palaver, I have tried to set them down.


Update:
In the Forum: a reminder that some things are fragile and sacred.

4 comments:

Old 333 said...

Great photo, William. Sounds like a pretty neat book, from the disclaimo-blurb at the beginning. First thing when I think of a the Children Of The Coronado, tho, is the skinny little delicate I'm about to light up, before my coffee goes terminal. Happy days to all - and happy Christmas, William, if I don't wander by by then.

PG

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Peter, and the same to you. I was so pleased to record the word palaver — I think, although I am not certain, that this is the first time it’s appeared on this blog. I suppose I could do a search, but I’m not inclined to just now. I’m more inclined to inhale your skinny delicate smoke.

martinealison said...

Joyeuses fêtes à vous et à tous ceux que vous aimez...
Bises

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Martine, and my best wishes to you. Thanks for the beautiful color, light, and life you bring.