Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Half grief, half shadow


My grandfather, alive again and in need of a shave. I could smell him when we hugged — that sweaty, vineyard scent of his. But his hug lacked his usual affection. Somehow, without a word, he let me know that I should have been to see him sooner. Practical, as always. And I, feeling guilty and not wanting to break his heart, unable to explain the difficulty of his request. My father, now, to the left, a step or two behind him, half grief, half shadow, looking at his hands. Was he wondering how long he’d been away? Did he know it’s more than fifteen years? Time is nothing when there’s light in someone’s eyes. Even when he’s dead, and gone, and here.

Note: My thanks to Lynn Behrendt for sharing this dream in the Annandale Dream Gazette.




12 comments:

-K- said...

"Time is nothing when there’s light in someone’s eyes."

Nicely said.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

oh I love this William, really this is so deep and I can touch this light.

I admire always your way...

Wine and Words said...

I've been thinking about memories and how they are hauntings really...whispy forms that come and go, apparitions that have no eternal resting place and forever wander. Something like that.

William Michaelian said...

Kevin, thanks. I wonder if time is ever something in any real, concrete sense. Does it exist outside of what goes on in our heads?

Laura, if anyone can touch the light, and then preserve it some way for others to see, it is you. Thank you, as always.

Yes, Annie, something like that. If not that. And you seem also to have described us all very well.

Lyudmila said...

really,times are nothing,we are intimes always

William Michaelian said...

One continuous moment... Thank you, Lyudmila.

Jean Spitzer said...

I love this, especially the last lines.

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Jean.

Bitch said...

Yes, William,
I understand.
"Even when he's dead, and gone,
and here".
This is so true. Thank you!

William Michaelian said...

Hi, Monika! Thank you, too.

rahina q.h. said...

very touching... i never knew the dead til i lost someone dear to me... now i know.... thank you for sharing this William.

William Michaelian said...

You’re welcome, Rahina. Revelations are such because they happen when and were we least expect them.