Sunday, December 19, 2010

Larger than the moment


It seems that events are larger than the moment in which they occur and cannot confine themselves in it. Certainly they overflow into the future through the memory that we retain of them, but they demand a place also in the time that precedes them. One may say that we do not then see them as they are to be, but in memory are they not modified also?

Marcel Proust
Remembrance of Things Past
Vol. 2, Pages 659-660


12.19.2010 #2
12.19.2010 #1 (Coronado’s Children)

6 comments:

Conrad DiDiodato said...

This is sounding very Bergsonian: in the sense, namely, that a possibly predetermined outcome won't be seen as such until it actually comes about. That's perhaps the status of "the time that precedes [events]" in the passage from Proust.

William Michaelian said...

Perhaps. For me, the passage speaks basically to the unreliability of memory, which makes it the painfully rich, sweet, complicated, dangerous thing it is. At the same time, in my mind, at least, events are so intertwined with previous events that each, like a child, seems born of an ancient lineage. But it might be that that is what you just said. Ah, words. Such is my condition this cold and rainy afternoon.

Woman in a Window said...

Moments that I know are rewritten over and over again. I'm not sure which one to rest my elbow on. Is the present rewriting always more valid than the last? I'm unsure.

Memory? Memorwho?

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Memorme, memoryou. I’m unsure too.

Wine and Words said...

Hmmm. My youngest wrote a song and one line in particular sticks with me. "Memory should never play in front of what you're doing." It's ambling around in my head. Should memory be Pip or Gladys? I struggle with it.

William Michaelian said...

I shall wonder the whole Knight through. I love the song already.