Sunday, January 9, 2011

Out of the nest


It’s lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky, up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made, or only just happened—Jim he allowed they was made, but I allowed they happened; I judged it would have took too long to make so many. Jim said the moon could a laid them; well, that looked kind of reasonable, so I didn’t say nothing against it, because I’ve seen a frog lay most as many, so of course it could be done. We used to watch the stars that fell, too, and see them streak down. Jim allowed they’d got spoiled and was hove out of the nest.

Mark Twain
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Page 158


6 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Yup. Just layin' here, lookin' up.

Time. Got some time.

xo
erin

Old 333 said...

Oh, Mr. Twain, how I never knew ye. Or at least, I never noticed: Star/Light/Lucifer/Egg. Sulfur.

Heaven is a nest, dude. Made or just happened; what's that to the likes of us? look up, and wonder.


Thanks, William. I haven't read that since some little knob ripped off my copy in Grade 6.

Never share! Only give. Talk to you later -
P

Two Tigers said...

Yum.

Note to self: add Huck Finn to the Books to Re-read List...

William Michaelian said...

That we do, Erin. And I aim to smoke it right down until it burns my mustache and fingers.

Thanks, Peter. Let’s do that. We’ll make up little punishments for that book thief. Then again, he’s probably been punished enough already. The heck with him.

Gabriella, I’m not exaggerating at all when I say that I’m enjoying every word — Huck’s and yours.

all ways 11 o'clock said...

we used to lay over
while the nets filled
and throughout the night
sleeping on deck
i would wake
gaze up
the black sky filled with stars
they took on a dimension
of being so close
and then so far away

those times
on board at night like that
brought me closer to
the sea and the earth


This is a lovely bit William
that has taken me back.

Thank you.

~robert

William Michaelian said...

And thank you, Robert, for this beautiful passage.