Saturday, February 12, 2011

Memento


Mountain snow
valley ash

a hand
a pen
an axe



Found between two pages in Riddle and Sojourn,
an imagined journal of unwritten haiku.


Update:
“Memento” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

Recently Acquired: The Congo and Other Poems, by Vachel Lindsay. Unabridged Dover republication (1992) of the edition published by The Macmillan Company, New York, 1915. 91 pages. $.49.

Library Notes: Added brief comments/quotes to my entries for Brautigan, Joyce, Montaigne, Pound, and Sandburg. Also added to collection: Zorba the Greek; The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel; The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson.

8 comments:

erin said...

There's a whole world created here and all with the power of creation: a hand, a pen, an axe. I suppose, with the power of destruction too, as alluded to in the ash. I'll stay with creation though, needing that light just now.

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

In the beginning, the white space that surrounds the poem and which now keeps it afloat, was filled with words.

♥Jan♥ said...

William and Erin, Even your comments are poetry.
I cannot write poetry, but I love to read the words that both of you and the other true talented artists that visit William's blog can write. Thank you to all of you talented people~~~

William Michaelian said...

Jan, all I know is that without you, this entry, this blog, and my life wouldn’t be the same. It’s as easy and dangerous to underestimate ourselves as it is to overestimate ourselves. Your presence is my good fortune, as is everyone’s who passes through. I think we’re all building something together, and when one of us is tired or discouraged, another picks him up and helps him along. And so I thank you.

♥Jan♥ said...

As I thank you William~~~

erin said...

(did my comment not go? forgive me if this is a duplicate.)

and i~

every day you teach me humility
and when i am low
i seek to go lower
for low is not low, afterall,
but a great vantage point
from which to live and see

do you understand?
do you see your value (to me)?
it is as though
you are one hand
giving way to another.

xo
erin

Indigo said...

All have the ability to create or destroy. Beauty lies in the creation. (Hugs)Indigo

William Michaelian said...

Erin, this is the first I’ve seen of your new comment. Thank you. My response to you is the same.

It does, Indigo. And the instant I believe there is none in destruction, a door closes. Things are so intertwined. I want to leave it open just in case.