Saturday, February 26, 2011

Robert Louis Stevenson, by the book



[click to enlarge]



Set published In New York by Charles Scribner’s Sons. Purchased at St. Vincent de Paul Store, Salem, Oregon, February 22, 2011, two dollars each. Asterisk indicates break in sequence. Bold indicates purchases made at the same location in October 2010.

Vol. I. New Arabian Nights. 1909. 385 pages.


*Vol. III. More New Arabian Nights. The Dynamiter. The Story of a Lie. 1909. 343 pages.


Vol. IV. Prince Otto. Island Nights’ Entertainments. Father Damien. 1909. 432 pages.


*Vol. IX. The Master of Ballantrae. 1909. 291 pages.


Vol. X. The Wrecker. 1909. 497 pages.


Vol. XI. The Wrong Box. The Ebb Tide. 1909. 395 pages.


Vol. XII. An Island Voyage. Travels with a Donkey. Edinburgh. 1909. 358 pages.


Vol. XIII. Virginibus Puerisque. Memories and Portraits. 1909. 358 pages.


Vol. XIV. Familiar Studies of Men and Books. Miscellaneous Papers. 1905. 400 pages.


*Vol. XVIII. Memoir of Fleeming Jenkin. Records of a Family of Engineers. 1905. 366 pages.


*Vol. XX. Weir of Hermiston. The Plays. Fables. 1905. 508 pages.


Vol. XXI. St. Ives: Being the Adventures of a French Prisoner in England. 1905. 485 pages.


Vol. XXII. Sketches. Criticisms, Etc. 1905. 669 pages.


Vol. XXIII. Letters and Miscellanies of Robert Louis Stevenson, I. 1905. 443 pages.


Vol. XXIV. Letters and Miscellanies of Robert Louis Stevenson, II. 1905. 465 pages.


*Vol. XXVI. Life II. 1905. 275 pages.


Vol. XXVII. New Letters. 1912. 338 pages.



Update:
In the Forum: a gruff sense of cosmopolitan historical awareness.

13 comments:

♥Jan♥ said...

Fantastic find William! Wonderful author. Beautiful books. And I love the photo! I could live in your library and be very happy!!!

William Michaelian said...

Well, Jan, you’d better move in while there’s still room. I brought home nineteen books this week. Still, there are a couple of places left to sit, if you don’t mind holding a pile of books in your lap....

♥Jan♥ said...

No problem! I'll read that pile and then exchange them for a new pile to read! This way I can keep my chair :) Almost forgot...can I bring my library of books with me? Maybe we can get more chairs to pile them on :D

Stickup Artist said...

You certainly do a great job of attracting amazing books into your universe! Isn't St. Vincent DePaul a thrift store? I usually spend my thrift store time in the kitchen section looking for baking pans and the like. Looks as if I should expand my vision.

William Michaelian said...

Jan, the scene gets better and better. And the piles higher and deeper. Suits me fine, just fine.

Stickup Artist, yes, ’tis a thrift store. There are two here in town, and both have a book section. The bigger store even has a small vintage section, which is where I found these. And I’m already wondering what they will put in their place....

rosaria said...

I adore these finds, especially of a beloved poet/writeer.

William Michaelian said...

I love portraits of RLS. These contain some nice ones. Beautiful expressions.

Conrad DiDiodato said...

William,

an amazing collection. I wish I had room in my home library for those beautiful volumes. My books are beginning to pile up in closets now, reaching up to my shirts:))

William Michaelian said...

Well, Conrad, if you’re hoping to inspire me, you have.

Ed Baker said...

My local thrift-shoppe is Value Village
thas where I buy my clothes ...
last funeral I went to needed a "new" suit... got a 'like-new' Pierre Cardin 3hree piece for $16

while there I did notice just past the Cabbage Patch Kids Dolls (most for under $5

a wall of books.... will "check-em out tomorrow as on
Monday they discount things another 25%

don't think this 'book-shoppe' here is as good as yours' after all we are a sub/burb of D.C. ... and you can just
guess/imagine what "they" read in D.C. !

(The Rise and Fall of The [....] Empire ?)

(tell me... what do you do about the dust/book motes?
&how do you get the 45 years of dust off the top edges?
)

William Michaelian said...

We have a Value Village here but it’s weak in the book department — or at least it was the last time I checked, which was about ten years ago, when I was there with a friend on a similar clothes-buying mission. And the store itself is on Mission Street....

What do I do about the dust/book motes? I inhale them. That’s one reason I look the way I do, and why they say I’m in good shape for the shape I’m in. I do have books with forty-five years’ worth of dust on the edges. Who am I to disturb such things?

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

:-)

William Michaelian said...

Laura! You found me with my books again....