Saturday, March 12, 2011

Commerce


              In the marketplace a wise man said,

“Would that to children we did entrust our coins;

                       Then shall we know the value of the things we buy.”



                       And, upon hearing him, the people turned away;

Such was the tumult in their minds,

              That their script writhed like vipers in their hands.




Library Notes: Eight Lines and Under (Cole); Armazindy (Riley); Complete Poems (Lowell).

Update:
“Commerce” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

3 comments:

♥Jan♥ said...

The wisdom in these words could only be written by your talent William.

As I read this post, I saw children as saving their pennies and thinking hard before breaking their piggy banks to buy something. I have found that children also love to buy for someone else.
Many adults spend without thinking. They throw their money away as I would a viper in my hand!

Maybe I am overthinking here, but this is what came to my mind :)

jasmin said...

lieber William, ich denke es geht nicht um das Geld, es sind die Werte, die uns weitergereicht werden, die wir bewusst anlegen sollen,
gute Wünsche Jasmin…

William Michaelian said...

And it’s interesting, isn’t it, that money is considered a filthy thing, when it’s our minds that need the bath....

Thank you, Jan. Thank you, Jasmin.