Thursday, March 17, 2011

If I Were a Carpenter


The spirits? They make of us windows and doors,
then run laughing through the room.

And if I were a carpenter, I would build this house
on the broad, strong back of the woman I love.

But as my vessel knows, I am a sailor,
and she is the open sea.

There is a saying: Believe in me.
But no one is saved who isn’t free.

And no one sees, who will not embrace the storm.
For we must be blind, to seek the shore.



Update:

“If I Were a Carpenter” added to Poems, Slightly Used.

11 comments:

♥Jan♥ said...

I love this poem more than I can put into words...It is just beautiful William. These words are reach into my soul~~~

Transcend Designs said...

: )

Bitch said...

Beautiful words coming from a
beautiful mind..

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

great

William Michaelian said...

Jan, thank you. In so saying, you’ve given me a wonderful gift.

Brad, your smile is priceless.

Monika, you’re more than kind. Thank you.

Laura, it’s your own bright mind, I think, that makes it so. Somehow, you coax hope out of the shadows.

Two Tigers said...

And as if this poem were not already beautiful enough, the fact that I can hear the 60s song by the same name playing softly in its background makes it even moreso!

William Michaelian said...

And there are so many versions. All the better. Thanks, Gabriella!

RUDHI - Chance said...

Like it too, as a carpenter on the sea of madness...

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Rudhi. Yes. May our boats stay afloat and the sky speak our names.

Momo Luna said...

Very very beautiful....

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Monica....