Friday, March 4, 2011

I’m Telling You All I Know


If it hasn’t happened already, there will come a time, I think, when I will have said enough. I hope I recognize it. Or, in looking back, I hope I’m able to see it, and brave enough to declare my silence retroactively, and then watch as my mountain of words goes up in flames or is swallowed by the mist.

In the meantime, here are six more recent acquistions, the first four of which were part of a two-for-one sale and purchased for $3.75:



[click to enlarge]




The Mill on the Floss, by George Eliot. Signed, “With Best Wishes To Anna Gustafson From Anna Bloom Nov. 1911.” Chicago and New York: Rand, McNally & Company, Publishers. 503 pages.

Tobacco Road, by Erskine Caldwell. “Ex Libris ~ The Worthingtons.” Grosset & Dunlap, Publishers, by arrangement with Duell & Sloan, Inc., New York. 241 pages. Feather-weight unabridged war-time edition, copyright 1932.

Eight American Writers. An anthology of American literature. Poe, Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Whitman, Clemens, James. General Editors: Norman Forester & Robert P. Falk. W.W. Norton & Company (1963). 1,609 pages. First Edition.

An Anthology of Famous English and American Poetry. The Modern Library (1945). 961 pages.

Nine Greek Dramas. The Harvard Classics. F.P. Collier and Son, New York (1909). 466 pages.

Faust, etc., by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. The Harvard Classics. F.P. Collier and Son, New York (1910). 431 pages.

Note: I now have seventeen volumes from this particular set of the Classics.


Library Notes: Three volumes added: Robert Burns, Edna St. Vincent Millay,
Walt Whitman.

Update:
In the Forum: the Zen of reading: voyages, wastelands, magic spells.

6 comments:

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Wow!

I don't know what I'm more impressed with: the classical texts or the typewriter.

William Michaelian said...

Ha! Well, they both weigh about the same....

Two Tigers said...

It seems you will never lack for heavy items with which to stop an assailant, if the mist of words fails. The machine and the tower of books do make a lovely counterpoint in a photo!

William Michaelian said...

Especially with me peeking over the top. I do get lucky with the camera once in awhile. Hey, I could clobber an assailant with it, too!

Willy. CREALINELIJNEN said...

The old little machine, next to old printed reality.
Azerty greetings,Willy.

William Michaelian said...

That’s it exactly. Hello, Willy — tap-tap-tap...