Wednesday, March 2, 2011

She


She was at the most three feet tall, and looked down on me from a granite mound that slowly revolved, like a mystic in a cake display. In the dim outdoor light, I could see only the whites of her eyes. Her face was framed by a delicate white cloth. She seemed young and old, and in her I sensed both malice and good will. My fate would be her decision. Then the scene shifted, and I found myself sitting beside him at a table in a busy restaurant. She was a now a young man from India, fingering, at every word, a long black goatee. Along one side of the table were three dark rugged men in suits — thugs, I thought, mindless petty assistants. The restaurant was missing one wall. From the open side, there arrived a flat transport, pulled by a little airport tractor. It was carrying new books. The books were shiny and black, and not the ones he had expected. This upset him. While he and his men were distracted, I slipped outside. And there, beyond the shade of the north wall, my wife was waiting for me in an open field.

10 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

William I like a lot this dream, I can see that the books are always in your mind, this is beautifull, the fact that they where shiny and black I think the man was suprised but not you, and the fact that your wife was beyond the shade of the wall I think this has a deep meaning

books and your loved person, are by you, accompany you in life, you are a lucky man, lucky and intelligent

Transcend Designs said...

Thanks for that little excursion dear sir! : )

all ways 11 o'clock said...

Beautiful story William.

~robert

William Michaelian said...

Laura: Lucky, yes; intelligent, well, I’m not so sure. Your thoughts about the books and my wife in this dream echo my feeling also.

Brad: You’re welcome, and thank you for calling me dear sir, dear sir!

Robert: Thank you. We can dream.

Joseph Hutchison said...

Wonderful! Plunging into transformation, emerging into "an open field." What else does one want?

William Michaelian said...

Life, liberty, and plunging into transformation. Yep — I’d say that just about covers it....

donnafleischer said...

like Vishnu, William
changes color, opening
the field of time

William Michaelian said...

laiku
haiku
dreams
us
free

Thank you, Donna.

erin said...

i find a great deal of play between the title and the story/dream. it is as though you say she, and pass us off to one hand. we follow that one hand through as she morphs into the Indian man, and then we are passed again out of the building. and then there in the field is your wife, the true she, or so it seems to me. wonderful.

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Erin. There’s a she and he in all of us, it seems, and so it has been since we began.