Monday, June 27, 2011

A note about my novel


As some of you might recall, the tenth anniversary authorized print edition of my novel, A Listening Thing, will be published later this summer. I’m pleased to say that the text is now in place, and the cover is almost done. No blurbs were solicited, but there’s a tiny bit of room on the back cover for this excerpt from a note sent by a reader of the online edition1 back in 2009:

All night, into the morning and here it is one o’clock
in the afternoon and I’m still sitting here in my underwear,
bleary eyed in quiet awe of this book.

The rest of the note, which ends ......thank you so much for the book.......best I’ve read in years....... is included for the record with full credit in the front matter, as well as other “specimens” that will throw light on the novel’s long and harrowing journey into print.

I’ll be mentioning the book again before its official release. For now, I’m at liberty to say that for a limited time prior to that2, readers and friends will be able to buy copies directly from the publisher at a generous discount. After the release, the price will necessarily go up to a more profitable level — although, in my opinion, it will be worth as much, if not more, than what some sellers were asking online3 for the generic review copies of the edition that was left high and dry by its almost-publisher lo those many years ago. The salient details of that story, too, are included in the book, along with a new preface and afterword, and an extensive new interview.

An authoritative edition, the new examined-and-corrected version of A Listening Thing will officially replace all previous editions.

A Listening Thing is a novel by a poet who, at the time it was written, had penned little poetry. It’s also a poem by a writer who, at the time it was written, hadn’t a novel to his name4. Some think it’s the best thing I’ve written. My hope is that the best is yet to come. Either way, I believe in the book deeply and implicitly, and will stand behind it all the days of my life. Its message really is that important.


1 Published in 2003, the online edition is no longer available.
2 To be announced.
3 In some cases, hundreds of dollars.
4 A second novel, The Smiling Eyes of Children, is now waiting in the wings.

13 comments:

Transcend Designs said...

HOORAY!
VERY psyched to check this out William!
All the best my friend!

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Brad! I’m honored you feel that way.

Wine and Words said...

For my collection :)

I shall buy it and set it beside the first. Very titilating little blurb. An excellent choice. Do let me know when I can get a copy!

William Michaelian said...

You’re beautiful, Annie. Thank you. I will.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

I must looking of your news published book, this one and the other too, I'm sure their great emotional value

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Laura. I’ll let you know when the novel is ready. I would love for you to have the book, and I know you will understand the story and the feeling behind it.

Two Tigers said...

Oh do let us know William! I would love to have this book. In some ways I feel it already has ME.

William Michaelian said...

It will be meaningful to you, Gabriella. That’s a promise.

~im just only me~ said...

yes! I shall be waiting :)

William Michaelian said...

Wonderful! Thanks, Cassie. It will be the one in the gray trench coat, muttering under its breath. It hasn’t slept in years, so give it coffee. Lots of strong black coffee.

erin said...

you thrill and chill me with those last lines of belief. isn't that something? and so i look forward to it like a knife to the skin, like eyelids being forced open.

wonderful that you should live so solidly!

xo
erin

William Michaelian said...

Erin, I have to ask: if we’re not amazed, are we even here? The thought of A Listening Thing in your hands can keep me dreaming and writing for years.

erin said...

yes, let's live in awe and wonder.

!

xo
erin