Thursday, August 25, 2011

Strangers


The coffee going, I thought of slipping quietly into the bathroom, taking off my clothes, and joining Mary in the shower. But I didn’t. I couldn’t. As nice as it would have been. To surrender, without saying a word. To give in completely. To scrub each other’s cares away, and let them run down the drain. To this day, I wonder what Mary would have done. She might have slapped me, or scorned me, or drowned us both in tears. Or I might have opened the shower door and found someone else, a stranger shocked by the invasion of her privacy. And while I felt guilty for thinking of it, the childish man in me seemed to be saying, “Go ahead. This is where it all begins. This is how we are healed.”

[From Chapter 3, A Listening Thing]


Note: Through September 22, Cosmopsis Books is offering my novel,
A Listening Thing, at the special price of $14.00, plus shipping.

The first printing is limited to 150 numbered copies.

To order this tenth anniversary print edition
from anywhere in the world, click here.

Thank you!


8 comments:

Nevine said...

William, I've just ordered your book. And after reading this excerpt from today, I can't tell you how I look forward to its arrival so I can begin my sure to be enjoyable reading. Thank you for the gift of your words.

Nevine

William Michaelian said...

Nevine, I can’t thank you enough. I hope A Listening Thing is everything you expect, and more. Your beautiful writing tells me that Stephen and Mary will find a place in your heart.

Wine and Words said...

Spoiler spoiler spoiler! I don't want to read these William. I want to wait for the weighted word in my hands. So sorry.

William Michaelian said...

Annie, I promise they will be no lighter for your having been here. They will, in fact, be clearer. But wait for the weight if you so choose. I love that thought too.

jasmin said...

William, ich finde gut diese Art Lese-Reise, so ist es möglich einen größeren Kreis von Lesern zu erreichen und zu interessieren,
es ist eine ebenwürdige Vorstellung deines Buches wie durch das Land zu reisen und das Buch vorzustellen.
viele Grüße Jasmin

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Jasmin. One reader, one heart, one mind at a time. In offering a taste, my hope is that you will want to order the whole dish. And if language is a barrier, the book is still an object to keep and treasure. When I bring home old books in other languages, I am quite content to hold them, listen, and imagine what they say.

Two Tigers said...

William, I am eleven chapters into your amazing book and coming up for air to tell you how happy I am to be reading it and to know the man who wrote it and be able to tell him so! I keep thinking "did I write this?" because so much of it reads like my own thoughts, so many left unexpressed, unshared, so many years for lack of courage and sympathy. Oh, you have both - by the barrel! I'd thank you more, but your book beckons...and while I'd like this read to last forever, I can't resist a few more chapters, or more...

William Michaelian said...

Gabriella, I’m the one who should be thanking you. First, again, for the beautiful presentation on books and reading that you posted yesterday, which includes a picture of the novel in your home amongst such wonderful company. And second, for your generosity here. First impressions come no fresher, and I regard your sharing of them as a special kind of miracle. Courage and sympathy: sometimes it takes courage to be sympathetic — almost as if there’s a fear we’ll lose something of ourselves in the process, when really, we have everything to gain. And then in sympathy we find courage. Well — time and again, you’ve shown me both. Knowing you have the book makes me feel lucky all over again.