Sunday, September 4, 2011

Insight


In a rare flash of insight, I decided not to question the matter any further. I think I knew instinctively that, if given the chance, my brain would ridicule and dismantle what I had done. The fact is, it has tried dozens of times since — but each time I have resisted.

[From Chapter 12, A Listening Thing]


Note: Through September 22, Cosmopsis Books is offering my novel,
A Listening Thing, at the special price of $14.00, plus shipping.

The first printing is limited to 150 numbered copies.

To order this tenth anniversary print edition
from anywhere in the world, click here.


Another Note: This excerpt from Chapter 12 brings us midway through book. Its publication here two weeks after the novel’s release coincides with an enticing, encouraging detail: roughly half of the first printing has now been sold. Books are currently winging their way to destinations all over the country and points beyond, including Armenia, Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, England, Germany, Greece, Holland, Italy, Scotland, and Switzerland. Many have already arrived. And so I thank each and every one of you who have ordered copies.

As you know, this is a grassroots effort. In that light, I also want to thank everyone who has read, commented on, and shared these excerpts and store links, here or wherever you’ve found them, be it Facebook, Goodreads, my website, or elsewhere. Your help makes all the difference.

As Paul L. Martin said in an email the other day,

Just take a deep breath and realize the book no longer belongs to you. It is the child who has turned 18 and moved out. You’ll always love and worry about him, but there is really nothing you can do. It is up to him to find his way, as we all must do in this world. Your Stephen has good parenting and strong genes; he survived financial collapse and implosion. In short, he has been dead before, and look: he lives on. Have faith.

Indeed, that has been the beauty of this journey all along. It remains so. And yet I know I won’t rest until the first printing is all safely in readers’ hands. I owe that, and far more, to Stephen Monroe. All else I owe to my friends, my family, and you.


7 comments:

all ways 11 o'clock said...

i have read and reread Paul's latest post while quietly reading your posts for A Listening Thing. his writing/thoughts and yours is a wonderful marriage.

i want to thank you once again for letting us all be a part of your beautiful mind and spirit. to feel your book tangible in my hand in itself will be a great gift.


~robert

William Michaelian said...

Paul is a man of humility and intelligence we are both lucky to know. The gift is already in your hand: your loved one’s touch, a flash of morning light, the splash of cold water that wakes you up and announces another day. Robert, when it arrives, you will bring the book to life. Thank you for your kind words here and on Paul’s wonderful entry.

Geckostone said...

This excerpt sounds a little too much like me, only I still have trouble with the resisting part,lol! I love the scenario Paul used to compare letting your book out on its own adventure!Deb

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Deb! Paul’s are wise words indeed. And as Peter De Vries, vending machine operator, toffee-apple salesman, radio actor, editor, and novelist once said, “The unexamined life may not be worth living but the examined one is no bed of roses either.” So it goes for Stephen, and so it goes for me. It’s nice to know we have company.

Two Tigers said...

Of course you would quote De Vries! One of my favorites, the finding of whose older harder to find novels was pretext for many visits to the used bookstore. I thought I heard some echoes of him in reading your book! An excellent example to follow.

William Michaelian said...

Ha! — as if any pretext were needed....

Two Tigers said...

Okay, maybe just the pretext for the D-F aisle.