Monday, September 5, 2011

Loneliness


I turned on the radio. I turned it off. I hummed “America the Beautiful.” I wrote a letter to my congressman, mailed it, and waited for his office to blow sky-high. When it didn’t, I sued the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of the Interior, and the secretary who answers the phone. I weaved in and out of traffic, honking my horn and making obscene gestures. I helped an old lady across the street. I saw a cave man on a horse, reading Huckleberry Finn. I attended a secret meeting of a dangerous underground organization. I ate the microfilm and had plastic surgery. I fled before the coming ice age. I wrote, performed in, and attended a play on Broadway. I took the elevator. I had a picnic with a group of Zen Buddhists who claimed to be chickens. I changed my name to Beethoven, lost my hearing, and composed a new symphony, all while waiting for a light. But none of it worked. I still wanted Mary, and missed her.

[From Chapter 13, A Listening Thing]


Note: Through September 22, Cosmopsis Books is offering my novel,
A Listening Thing, at the special price of $14.00, plus shipping.

The first printing is limited to 150 numbered copies.

To order this tenth anniversary print edition
from anywhere in the world, click here.

Thank you!



2 comments:

Aleks said...

You teached me once how to make workable link in here but I forgot and now bye the way,the only thing I wish is go back to bed as fast as I can with the magical number 7 of your 150 things that listen :O) and dive in it!! Thank you again,you made this crazy woman happy!
here is my blog post link
http://sandra-sandrinatajna.blogspot.com/2011/09/listening-thing-arrived-at-new-times-o.html
im off now,bye,bye!!!
Aleksandra

William Michaelian said...

It’s beautiful, Aleks! Thank you. And if you’re happy, then I am happy!