Saturday, September 3, 2011

Stephen Monroe through someone else’s eyes


For as long as I’ve been writing, I’ve felt awkward promoting my own “work.” And yes, even that word, work, gives me trouble, for its very use implies an importance which might or might not exist. Quite simply, while I try my best and believe with all my heart in what I do, I feel its value in the world isn’t for me to decide.

With this in mind, it gives me great pleasure to direct you to some beautifully kind, insightful thoughts about the new release of my novel, A Listening Thing. In them, Paul L. Martin refers far too modestly to his own role in this tenth anniversary edition. Paul, who knows more than I ever will about literature, is a man of grace whose friendship has been, and still remains, a guiding, assuring force. This is evident not only in his review, but in the extensive interview with me that he was so gracious to conduct, and which is included in the book.

This, too, is part of the story that is A Listening Thing. For it, I will be grateful to the end of my days.


Note: Through September 22, Cosmopsis Books is offering my novel,
A Listening Thing, at the special price of $14.00, plus shipping.

The first printing is limited to 150 numbered copies.

To order this tenth anniversary print edition
from anywhere in the world, click here.


4 comments:

Paul L. Martin said...

Thank you, William. I can feel the love in the room, so to speak. Of course, I am only voicing what so many people feel about your "work" and your friendship. Here's to many more years of "listening" to your thoughts each day.

William Michaelian said...

With the hope that I might live up to your generosity. The feeling goes both ways, Paul.

Two Tigers said...

This is so heartwarming to witness, William - your book and the life it has taken on, the connections it continues to make between people and within people. And your modesty. Rare these days. Thanks again for all that you are and do.

William Michaelian said...

Isn’t it funny, Gabriella, how in this situation I can’t just sit here and smile? To put that smile into words is a real challenge. Well, it’s covered by hair, mostly. But anyway, it can best be read in the eyes. And if you could see them now, you would most certainly realize how close they are to tears. Thank you for being the wonderful reader and friend that you are.