Sunday, October 16, 2011

From personal correspondence


I finished the book around eleven last night. . . . Stephen Monroe is a man we should all aspire to be in my mind. Everything he went through, put himself through, was for love and understanding, of himself and the world around him. Mary is a gift from the heavens.

The way you brought Uncle Leo into the book and laughter and this great sensitivity throughout the whole book was absolutely beautiful. Your views on the futility of wars and the draft were introduced so naturally.
A masterstroke.

I am all over the map with telling you about my experience with
A Listening Thing. I am still so very excited about this novel, this autobiography of yourself and me and countless others.

I am going to make a T-shirt saying,


MY NAME
MY NAME IS
STEPHEN MONROE!


I thank you
for your friendship
your beautiful mind
your eyes that see beauty in the decay.


From Robert, shared here with his gracious permission.



9 comments:

Paul L. Martin said...

I love the tee shirt idea. We could start a revolution. Or, create a batch of head scratchers wondering "Who the hell is Stephen Monroe?" Either way works for me. Thank you for sharing, William, as well as the email exchange from a few days ago. Beautiful image of the clouds and mountains.

William Michaelian said...

Without a doubt, Paul, one of these days, you, Robert, Stephen, and I will have to get together for a long talk. we’ll have on our T-shirts, of course, except you won’t be able to see mine because my beard will cover it. In the meantime, I am thankful and amazed to have such wonderful friends.

Geckostone said...

Can a girl wear the t-shirt too? I finally have A Listening Thing in my hot little hands.I'll let ya know when I finish it but I'm taking my sweet time and treating myself to a little before bed each night. Hope I don't have nightmares seeing myself, ha, ha, just kidding! So far the first few pages are wonderful!!!!! Deb

William Michaelian said...

Deb, it’s great knowing you have the book. Thank you! Can you wear the T-shirt? Are you kidding? I think you should be our official model.

Two Tigers said...

Count me in for a t-shirt and the accompanying revolution!

William Michaelian said...

Gabriella, you are a revolution, as I live and breathe.

Two Tigers said...

No wonder I'm so dizzy!

Aleks said...

lovely friendship builds bridges over troubled waters,makes T-shirts,drinks brandy under the mulberry trees, wonders over and trough rose gardens,count uncountable blessings,in other words,this is wonderful! You are wonderful! :)

William Michaelian said...

It’s a magical combination, Aleks. Friendship, fun, art, life itself — it’s our turn to keep them alive, just as they keep us alive. I’m glad you’re here!