Thursday, October 20, 2011

On finishing the last chapter: a reader’s notes


I finished this book, and I lay it down. The emotion I felt was gratitude.

As with other writers in the past, I felt this validation and comfort in knowing that someone else sees what I see. In other words, I “get” Stephen Monroe in so many ways, except from the male point of view, which I was lucky to also get a glimpse of. It was enlightening to say the least.

Each chapter was a joy to read, great storytelling, never dull or meandering, with a delightful cadence, words painting pictures in my mind of the most minute detail. The humour and playfulness woven into a tale of angst and redemption, the complete likability of your character who laughs at himself yet still retains his dignity. You are sir, a true artist.

I don’t review many books, in fact I never have. I just wanted to say thank you, and let you know that I was left wanting more….to hear what else Stephen Monroe might say about life and himself through the unique lens of his unflinchingly honest, very funny observations.

Loved it. 4 stars.

Deborah

From personal correspondence, shared with permission.


4 comments:

Geckostone said...

Hey William, since this person has the same name as me, can I just say a big "DITTO" for me too? I'm only half way through the book and this post describes it perfect already!!! I'm having a blast reading "A Listening Thing"! Deb

William Michaelian said...

Are you, Deb? That’s great! Maybe we should dub this the double-Deb entry. I’m really glad you’re enjoying the book.

Aleks said...

William,can you publish a little booklet with only peoples comments and revues of their reading your novel and other beauty you wrote? :)
This is really genuine blast of experience every time I open the comment box in here,I love it as I love your writing.Oh,Okay,I love your drawings too,:)
good day to you young man!

William Michaelian said...

And good day to you, young lady! I would love to see these gracious thoughts and comments in one place. For now, many of them are preserved on my main website, in the form of excerpts, with links. You can find them on the About page, the Archive page, and the Cosmopsis Books page. Thank you!