Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Wish


Of all we’ve experienced and all we’ve learned, what of this year is worth bringing with us into the one ahead? This, I think: the understanding that we need only the barest of necessities that assure our safety and well being — food, shelter, companionship, solitude, love, and the freedom to discover and nurture the creative spark, in others and in ourselves. In a word, peace. The absence of any of these, for anyone, upsets the balance for everyone. Our precious energy, when spent in the pursuit of frivolous wants in the guise of pressing needs, is the same negative force we see at work daily in our schools and in our streets; it’s the very war we wage on what is foolishly termed “foreign soil,” when the truth is, there is no soil on this great wide earth that is foreign, just as there are no foreign cultures, hopes, or dreams, because they are all of us, and we are all of each other, and of the soil. Borders? Fences? They are all arbitrary — embarrassing symbols of our fear and greed. But still the world turns, and continues its patient journey around the sun — that very star which will itself one day die. And if something as ancient and powerful as the sun must turn to ash, what, then, of us? Do we sincerely believe we are more important than the sun? In each and every moment, we are, all of us, ripe and ready to fall. By the time you read this, I could be gone. My wish: may we be as nourishment for those who live, and those who come.


16 comments:

Transcend Designs said...

Brilliantly said my friend...

All the best in the New Year William...!

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Brad, and my very best to you and yours.

Jan "Jan's Paintings" said...

These words describe exactly how I feel also, William. But I could never have expressed them the way that you have done here. Thank you for saying them for me in a truly beautiful way, my dear friend~~~

William Michaelian said...

Jan, I thank you for lending them such a gracious ear. I’m lucky to know you. Like Brad, you’ve enriched my life immeasurably through your kindness, your friendship, and your art.

Gerry Boyd said...

That's why I'm a Monist.

William Michaelian said...

Aye.

Aleks said...

:) thank you!

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, dear one.

Stickup Artist said...

Dear William, even though I rarely "think" in terms of words but rather in images, I can recognize beauty and truth in verbal thought when I see it. And I can also recognize character. You walk the walk. I have been so nourished here. One person at a time your wish comes closer to universal fruition. Happy New Year Good Friend!

William Michaelian said...

And a happy new year to you, Stickup Artist. Your kind message is a gift. We feel our way — that’s all any of us can do. And none of us would get very far without the inspiration and insight of others. Your images, and the quiet, humble way you present them, are an ongoing source of strength.

Bitch said...

Ach, dear William!
Your wise words in this time and hour is coming like a gentle stroke over my frighten soul.
Wish you all the best for the coming new year!

William Michaelian said...

Thank you very much, Monika! Remember, whatever the future holds, you have the strength, the heart, and the intelligence to see it through. Just live it a day at a time; the fear will pass. I too send my best. Thank you for everything.

Two Tigers said...

"By the time you read this, I could be gone."

Gone? I do hope you just stepped out for a moment to look up at your kin, the stars.

Happy New Year.

William Michaelian said...

Our kin, you mean.

Happy New Year? When I think of the joy you gave in the year now ending, I feel sure about the one to come.

Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

.


Happy New Year

Conflicting view, this serene
yet busy egret, tall and white
against the green, seeking
sustenance along the wooded
thick-set border of the pond.
So small against the further shore
and the noisy background
of the tractor in the trees now
tearing down his home.

Conflicting time, one to consider
the new year’s hope and promise,
the losses of the last one,
and the worlds that soon will fall
as the tractor approaches.
We’ll mark them down with
the losses of the next one.

Copyright 2008 – Softwood-Seventy-eight Poems, Gary B. Fitzgerald

William Michaelian said...

Beautiful. Thanks, Gary.


A Toast

It’s been a strange,
sad, trying year.

Good-bye,
my dear,
and let’s
not cry.

When
morning
comes, we’ll
don a new disguise.

I’ll call yours beautiful
if you won’t laugh at mine.

December 31, 2006

Winter Poems