Sunday, January 29, 2012

Darwin


While reading early this morning, a small leaf fell from between Pages 222 and 223 of my old book into my lap. It was very dry, but not brittle, without the slightest tear anywhere in its delicate map of veins, or damage to the several dozen points by which its edges were defined. After I’d finished those pages, which were about Charles Darwin, I returned the leaf to its place, not knowing who had put it there, or in what state of mind, and having no idea as to its future. And then, before I continued on, there came upon me a memory of graves I’ve seen of pioneers, their names and dates a lichen stain or mossy smudge, as if the elements in their persistent art had replaced one kind of writing with another. To which I answer now with the miracle that is my hand.


7 comments:

Joseph Hutchison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Hutchison said...

William, the way this poem (albeit in prose) travels an invisible span from journalism to the metaphysical is a wonder similar to, though of a different order than, that hand of yours. Beautiful!

[Withdrawn for an egregious grammar faux pas and reposted]

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Joe. I have a fear of re-posting, because more likely than not I’ll introduce new mistakes. But here you’ve succeeded admirably, with the bonus addition of French, which I accept as a wink at my recent silly French pronunciation entry. That said, I deeply appreciate your kind, perceptive reading of “Darwin.”

Geckostone said...

This is great William. Reminds me of staring at all those wonderful petroglyphs we see while hiking in the canyons and wondering, wondering...

William Michaelian said...

Thanks very much, Deb. I’m glad. Seen that way, the whole wide world is a book, and we are characters in it.

Two Tigers said...

I have a photo that is a visual reply to this beautiful post of yours, even though it was taken years ago - such is the nature of our best conversations! Will a link work here I wonder?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twotigerscreations/5812617033/in/set-72157626793310873

If not, it's in my Flickr stream, under the name "Who Died." Will send it to you via email if you have trouble summoning it.

I also call it "Here Lies" with full admission of my shameless punnery.

William Michaelian said...

I love it, Gabriella. Thank you. And just to be sure, here is a “live” link this time:

Who Died

And may our conversation continue.