Monday, January 23, 2012

On French Pronunciation


Being unable to correctly read and pronounce all but a few French words has bothered me only little until now. Now I not only want to learn to read comfortably in that language, I feel it’s an absolute necessity, and an embarrassment that I’ve put it off for so long. Luckily, my copy of Heath’s French and English Dictionary (1903) has a guide to pronunciation. That will be a good place to begin, as well as Chapter 13 of George Moore’s Avowals†, which is a lecture of his presented in French. As I told my son this morning in a brief email exchange, how can I skip that chapter and still say I’ve read the book? Next and simultaneously on my list: Latin.

a book mentioned here yesterday


9 comments:

Joseph Hutchison said...

I don't think it'll harm your reputation if posterity remembers you for having little Latin and less French.

William Michaelian said...

Quite true, and in any case, my reputation at that point, if it even exists, will undoubtedly rest on my general ignorance, much as it does now. But this is important to me for other reasons. Language, I find, as music, sets the mind agreeably adrift and lets it wander in different realms. Like listening to the sounds of Joyce in Armenian, I think taking on French and Latin, even if I don’t wholly succeed, will have a similar worthwhile, satisfying, enjoyable effect. And of course there are other languages I’d like to learn. English, for instance.

rahina q.h. said...

then William you willl have to add this to your armoury : http://www.forvo.com/languages/fr/
and the poems below are just beautiful...

vazambam (Vassilis Zambaras) said...

Ach so, my good man Wilhelm--when English is no longer Greek to you, you can join me over here!

William Michaelian said...

Thank you, Rahina, and thanks for the link. As a matter of fact, I happened on that very website not long after I posted this entry. The adventure continues....

Vassilis, I can see us now, side by side, enjoying a hearty bowl of alphabet soup!

~im just only me~ said...

Well William, I'll come down this summer and teach you both! :) I was looking for a reason to disturb your quietude! :P

William Michaelian said...

Ha! I’m sorry you feel you need a reason, but this one will surely do!

don't be emily said...

She's dreadful, don't take her. Come visit the Northeast and I'll do it. She'll just puy her feet on the desk and sleep. ;)

William Michaelian said...

Maybe she snores in Latin?